1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 05:56
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Russia doesn't need to start a world war, because they could do to us what Ronald Reagan did to them. And if China followed suit then it's a sure bet they could both (working together) bankrupt the U.S. We've put ourselves in a very vulnerable position. Don't ask me why we've done this to ourselves, because I don't know. Maybe the U.S. has become so fat and lazy we just don't care anymore... that's as good an explanation as any.
    Maybe it i time for a new world order(ing) and nobody is really in charge of how it will go.
  2. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 06:13
    Pepe Le Pew?
    http://goo.gl/grl5pU
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 13:20
    Russia doesn't need to start a world war, because they could do to us what Ronald Reagan did to them. And if China followed suit then it's a sure bet they could both (working together) bankrupt the U.S. We've put ourselves in a very vulnerable position. Don't ask me why we've done this to ourselves, because I don't know. Maybe the U.S. has become so fat and lazy we just don't care anymore... that's as good an explanation as any.
    It's the greed of Corporate America.

Outsourcing to other countries all of our manufacturing base makes us now unable to sustain anything approaching our effort in World War II, since we just do not have the manufacturing capacity to out-produce anyone anymore.

I agree though, Russia does not need to start a world war. They can just get away with annexing half the world a piece at a time just like they're trying to do now. I expect they'll be back in Georgia after Ukraine.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 13:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It's the greed of Corporate America.

Outsourcing to other countries all of our manufacturing base makes us now unable to sustain anything approaching our effort in World War II, since we just do not have the manufacturing capacity to out-produce anyone anymore.

I agree though, Russia does not need to start a world war. They can just get away w ...[text shortened]... t a time just like they're trying to do now. I expect they'll be back in Georgia after Ukraine.
    I reckon any eastern block country is fair game.we (the UK) import 40% of coal from Russia Germany relies on Russian oil and gas.they have the west in their pocket.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 23:28
    Originally posted by redbarons
    I reckon any eastern block country is fair game.we (the UK) import 40% of coal from Russia Germany relies on Russian oil and gas.they have the west in their pocket.
    In a pinch, the US could probably convert to Compressed Natural Gas, or CNG. America has the largest reserves of Natural Gas anywhere, or so I've heard.
  6. In your face
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 23:492 edits
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    They all start the same way. One side does something stupid and the other side does too. I don't know, this thing is starting to look like it could escalate into WW3.
    Doom and gloom. Not going to happen. Haven't you noticed that over the last couple of decades, that in any conflict either super power has gotten involved in, the other has simply fired off rhetoric rather than missiles? As painful as they were, I think a few lessons were actually learned from Vietnam.

It is all just strategic politics involving resources and not a lot more. General consensus of man on the street last year in Ukraine was to join the EU, then Russia threatened to turn the gas stop cock off.

Bombs cost too much and I doubt that any will be expended on this 'cause'.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Jun '14 23:50
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Doom and gloom. Not going to happen. Haven't you noticed that over the last couple of decades, that in any conflict either super power has gotten involved in, the other has simply fired off rhetoric rather than missiles? As painful as they were, I think a few lessons were actually learned from Vietnam.

It is all just strategic politics involving ...[text shortened]... gas stop cock off.

Bombs cost too much and I doubt that any will be expended on this 'cause'.
    This is probably the most succinct comment I've heard on this issue.
  8. In your face
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 00:091 edit
    This is probably the most succinct comment I've heard on this issue.
    Why waste time on lamenting about what might happen when the facts of the matter are simple and few? I was simply drawing comparisons with recent conflicts around the ex USSR periphery and trying to put this one into context. Iraq versions 1 and 2, Afghanistan, Georgia, Yugoslavia etc. Every time one starts, everyone starts running around screaming omg WW33333333 Noooooooo.

It's not giong to happen ....... yet. There are enough resources hled by all to keep this scenario at bay.

As for succint? I think your last post wins hands down.

Cheers
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 00:13
    Why waste time on lamenting about what might happen when the facts of the matter are simple and few? I was simply drawing comparisons with recent conflicts around the ex USSR periphery and trying to put this one into context. Iraq versions 1 and 2, Afghanistan, Georgia, Yugoslavia etc. Every time one starts, everyone starts running around screaming ...[text shortened]... keep this scenario at bay.

As for succint? I think your last post wins hands down.

Cheers
    I guess what I meant was direct, to the point and having a distinct ring of truth. Although it was concise, also.
  10. In your face
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 00:16
    I guess what I meant was direct, to the point and having a distinct ring of truth. Although it was concise, also.
    Ah. I had to google 'succinct' and it gave me different vibes man. Guess I read you wrong; apologies.

Wonders of the english language. 🙂
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 22:39
    Ah. I had to google 'succinct' and it gave me different vibes man. Guess I read you wrong; apologies.

Wonders of the english language. 🙂
    "Wonders of the English Language" By: Jobie Weetaluktuk Published: July 12, 2007

"The wonders of the English language include the success and ease of use of this language. One can listen to the radio and tell if the speaker is of Indian descent, Australian, or an American. Generally. Generally since one can be listening to an English man from Britain and learn that his name is Ravinder Singh. The wonders of the English language are numerous.

"It is the second most widely spoken native language in the world, the mother tongue of more than 350 million people, and the most widely taught foreign language, and the international language of science and business." That is what the website http://www.answers.com/topic/english-language says about English.

English has a long and convoluted history. Linguists believe that English has its discernible origins in the 5th century AD, when the Angles, the Saxons, and Jutes invaded England and established themselves. All contributed to the language and that was the seed of the current English language.

Today, the English language is still picking up words from other linguistic traditions and has adopted those word as its own. Words like coffee, which probably evolved from the Kaffa region of Ethiopia. Actually this word is more a global and multilingual expression than it is an exclusively English word. It has been adopted by many cultures and linguistic traditions. It does show how wide the influence of English is or how English is open to other languages.

One of the lasting legacies of the monarchs, explorers and exploiters from England is the dominant use of the English language, not the least of which is the written form of English. For instance, this writer can read and write English which is not his first language. People from all traditions can read what he is writing to a great degree.

One of the problems of English and globalization is the threat it and other dominant languages pose to hundreds of other languages now decreasing in usage. These are the many indigenous languages all over the world, such as Karen of Vietnam, the San language of the Bushmen of Africa, and Kalaliit of Greenland which have suffered decline in use.

Yet, as the price of progress and homogenization of the global village, lots of good things have happened. English has contributed to understanding and communication between tribes, villages, nations, and continents. The language is a tool as much as it is the artistic expression of the like of Shakespeare and Poe.

The English language is a wonder in itself. It is relatively easy to learn and its use can evolve to master status. As it changes the world we live in, the English language itself changes. The more is become part of us, the more we own it."

http://www.humanities360.com/index.php/wonders-of-the-english-language-7-63745/
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 22:51
    What are you people worried about?

If the Russians get restless, Finnish snipers will handle it again --just like in the Winter War.

Sleep well.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 22:581 edit
    Pepe Le Pew?
    A famous French skunk.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 23:13
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Wonders of the English Language" By: Jobie Weetaluktuk Published: July 12, 2007

"The wonders of the English language include the success and ease of use of this language. One can listen to the radio and tell if the speaker is of Indian descent, Australian, or an American. Generally. Generally since one can be listening to an English man from ...[text shortened]... e we own it."

http://www.humanities360.com/index.php/wonders-of-the-english-language-7-63745/[/b]
    That still doesn't mean I'll be spelling 'honor' with a 'u', or calling gasoline petrol, or any of that nonsense. 🙂
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 23:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    A famous French skunk.
    "Top 5 Pepe Le Pew Quotes"

http://most-good-names-are-taken.blogspot.com/2011/06/top-5-pepe-le-pew-quotes.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree