1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 22:022 edits
    by Jon Ronson

Finished it today. I recommend it, it's tells some really interesting stories with tenderness and humour and may help some people on these forums who feel hurt, shamed or angry about their treatment, and/or feel guilt and shame about how they've treated others. In the main, it's about how many of us use social networking tools like Twitter, Facebook and so on to deal out extra-judicial punishments, and the consequences that inevitably follow.

Try the audiobook. Once you get used to Ronson's voice (slightly childlike and almost camp), the way he reads brings out the subtle humour and the real emotion.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '16 11:031 edit
    I have an audio message for him, Johnson or what ever is his name--->
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s03jP5wdoi6k

Note the song in background Reveal Hidden Content
    Boys Don't Cruy
    --->>>
    YouTube
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    18 Jun '16 13:31
    Originally posted by vandervelde

Note the song in background [hidden]Boys Don't Cruy[/hidden] --->>>
    [youtube]PDEna0WgtIU[/youtube]
    You're weird, sir.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 00:26
    Originally posted by vandervelde

Note the song in background [hidden]Boys Don't Cruy[/hidden] --->>>
    [youtube]PDEna0WgtIU[/youtube]
    That was great! Made me feel thirteen again. 😉
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 00:34
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    by Jon Ronson

Finished it today. I recommend it, it's tells some really interesting stories with tenderness and humour and may help some people on these forums who feel hurt, shamed or angry about their treatment, and/or feel guilt and shame about how they've treated others. In the main, it's about how many of us use social networking tools like T ...[text shortened]... childlike and almost camp), the way he reads brings out the subtle humour and the real emotion.
    I meant to reply to this right after you posted it, but I got diverted by FMF. Maybe I should say waylaid.

Anyway, it sounds like an appropriate read. Perhaps I'll find a copy and some time.

As an aside, this web site is the only "social network" I visit. My opinion is that it's not a good idea to plaster one's personal details all over the place. Just asking for trouble.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 00:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    I meant to reply to this right after you posted it, but I got diverted by FMF. Maybe I should say waylaid.

Anyway, it sounds like an appropriate read. Perhaps I'll find a copy and some time.

As an aside, this web site is the only "social network" I visit. My opinion is that it's not a good idea to plaster one's personal details all over the place. Just asking for trouble.
    So you have troubling personal details?🙂
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 00:511 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    So you have troubling personal details?🙂
    You don't? 😉
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 16:24
    Originally posted by josephw

There are many positive aspects of social networking sites and apps, which certainly isn't all about 'plastering one's personal details all over the place'. Perhaps you'd benefit by finding some good information on social networking and reading it through, and talking about it with an open mind to those that habitually use it. But I'd say it's generally more suitable for younger people who are quite tech-savvy.

Also, by being scornfully dismissive of social networking it's very easy to alienate younger people, which to me is very counter-productive, given that we all share a planet, and that they are the people who we'll need to look after us as we age.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree