Star Wars

SubscriberFMF
General 21 Oct '15 00:35
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 00:35
    I still have never watched a Star Wars movie.

Is the one coming out now as good a place as any to start?

Which would be a better pick for the desert island for you? The Star Wars movies or (a similar number of) Star Trek movies?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 00:52
    Originally posted by FMF

Which would be a better pick for the desert island for you? The Star Wars movies or (a similar number of) Star Trek movies?
    Being an adult Star Trek.
    πŸ˜€
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 06:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why not?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 07:27
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why not?
    Wasn't interested when they came out ~ and did not have much of a going-to-the-cinema habit when I was younger ~ never felt tempted to rent the video, and I don 't watch much TV - hardly any, in fact - so reruns on TV passed me by. I watched part of one of them in a hotel once - 15 minutes' worth maybe.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 07:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Being an adult Star Trek.
    πŸ˜€
    Greek philosophers would have preferred Star Trek, and who would have preferred Star Wars...?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 10:51
    Originally posted by FMF

You're a rather curious fellow. Said recently in a thread that you didn't like chess and now that you have never watched Star Wars. How are either of those things possible?! πŸ™‚

Next you'll be saying you've never eaten a grapefruit.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 10:59
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You're a rather curious fellow. Said recently in a thread that you didn't like chess ...
    I should qualify my chess comment a bit: I do not like 2-D on-screen chess much. Nor do I have much liking for having more than one game on the go. I only play it to chat with opponents. Over the board chess I enjoy quite a lot and the opportunity to hold on to a train of thought while playing would probably endow me with a better rating than the one I have earned here.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:15
    ... you have never watched Star Wars. How are either of those things possible?!
    I have never been much of a cinema goer - maybe only 20 times in my entire life. I am not a fan of science fiction, with the occasional rather random exceptions. There always seemed to be things more interesting to rent when I was at the video store. I don't watch TV much. And I only download movies if I am very interested/motivated to (because of the file sizes). I missed my chance to get sucked up by Star Wars 1977-83 when I was more interested in stuff like King Of Comedy, Raging Bull, Interiors, Elephant Man, Das Boot, Ordinary People, The Year of Living Dangerously, The Verdict, Reds, Silkwood.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have never been much of a cinema goer - maybe only 20 times in my entire life. I am not a fan of science fiction, with the occasional rather random exceptions. There always seemed to be things more interesting to rent when I was at the video store. I don't watch TV much. And I only download movies if I am very interested/motivated to (because of the file sizes ...[text shortened]... ant Man, Das Boot, Ordinary People, The Year of Living Dangerously, The Verdict, Reds, Silkwood.
    You recently recommended Deadwood, which my wife and i really enjoyed. (Despite the anti climax at the end of the third series). So i guess i can forgive you for missing Star Wars. (But only just).
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:30
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Greek philosophers would have preferred Star Trek, and who would have preferred Star Wars...?
    Fat Roman emperors.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 11:42
    You recently recommended Deadwood, which my wife and i really enjoyed. (Despite the anti climax at the end of the third series). So i guess i can forgive you for missing Star Wars. (But only just).
    There are so many films I have missed. Thousands and thousands, including fabulously popular ones. I watched about half a dozen highly rated movies from 2013 - because I made a conscious effort to figure out what they were, obtain them, and watch them - and even then I only watched 6 of them and I think I downloaded 30. As for 2014 and 2015, I've seen none. And I may have seen only a handful from 2010-2012. Now, TV series... that's another matter...
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 18:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    There are so many films I have missed. Thousands and thousands, including fabulously popular ones. I watched about half a dozen highly rated movies from 2013 - because I made a conscious effort to figure out what they were, obtain them, and watch them - and even then I only watched 6 of them and I think I downloaded 30. As for 2014 and 2015, I've seen none. And I may have seen only a handful from 2010-2012. Now, TV series... that's another matter...
    Some films are only really worth seeing on the big screen. (Lord of the Rings would fall into this category).
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 18:09
    Some films are only really worth seeing on the big screen. (Lord of the Rings would fall into this category).
    Not seen any of them. πŸ˜‰
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 18:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not seen any of them. πŸ˜‰
    Oh the humanity! πŸ˜‰
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 18:30
    Originally posted by FMF

If you missed Star Wars when you were 13, there's no point in starting with any of them now. The punch line is: "I did it for you, mom." That's all there is to it. ok? George Lucas went up market but down hill after THX 1138.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree