1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 09:381 edit
    At the ripe young age of 45, I have decided to start attending karate classes. My daughter is beginning the kids class this week or next, so I thought it would be a good idea to start adult classes to both help her with encouragement, and maybe lose a bit of my big fat belly. I'm going to be a Tai chi instructor soon, so the kumite will be a nice addition to the training.

Always wanted my black Belt, but I might be too old for that. My knees aren't what they used to be. First class this Saturday...go me.

"You're the best...
    Around.
    And nothings gonna ever bring you down."
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 10:17
    Originally posted by @huckleberryhound
    At the ripe young age of 45, I have decided to start attending karate classes. My daughter is beginning the kids class this week or next, so I thought it would be a good idea to start adult classes to both help her with encouragement, and maybe lose a bit of my big fat belly. I'm going to be a Tai chi instructor soon, so the kumite will be a nice a ...[text shortened]... is Saturday...go me.

"You're the best...
    Around.
    Good for you Huck! Very nice!

The martial arts have been an integral part of my life too.

Though now that I'm over 50...I'm not as flexible as I once was...but the mental discipline and philosophy will last my lifetime.

Start low...go slow: You'll be ripping through your katas in no time youngster! 😀
  3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 11:06
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Good for you Huck! Very nice!

The martial arts have been an integral part of my life too.

Though now that I'm over 50...I'm not as flexible as I once was...but the mental discipline and philosophy will last my lifetime.

Start low...go slow: You'll be ripping through your katas in no time youngster! 😀
    Katas are gay.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 11:48
    At the ripe young age of 45, I have decided to start attending karate classes. My daughter is beginning the kids class this week or next, so I thought it would be a good idea to start adult classes to both help her with encouragement, and maybe lose a bit of my big fat belly. I'm going to be a Tai chi instructor soon, so the kumite will be a nice a ...[text shortened]... is Saturday...go me.

"You're the best...
    Around.
    Good for you!!

The martial arts is great for your self confidence, not to mention the benefits of staying fit.

People who can't look after themselves physically are the first to be critical, don't give them a second thought or even a comment. They are only looking for attention. 😉

-VR
  5. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 12:10
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    Good for you!!

The martial arts is great for your self confidence, not to mention the benefits of staying fit.

People who can't look after themselves physically are the first to be critical, don't give them a second thought or even a comment. They are only looking for attention. 😉

-VR
    Been doing martial arts on and off for 16 years, and more in my youth. That's why I want my daughter to do it. Wu de (martial code of conduct) is something most kids could benefit from.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 12:23

"You're the best...
    Around.
    Maybe, and this is just an idea and maybe not a great one but, non-the-less an idea...change jobs from taxi driver (sitting all day) to a construction job, say as a street sweeper., which might accomplish two things, help lose some of the "belly fat" and you'd have a broom, for self defense. 🤔 🙂
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 12:30
    Been doing martial arts on and off for 16 years, and more in my youth. That's why I want my daughter to do it. Wu de (martial code of conduct) is something most kids could benefit from.
    That is Great! I have two brothers who have been it for 30 years and counting one in taekwondo the other in Karate, one is a 5th or 6th degree black belt and teaches besides holding down a job as a LPN.

The other is in Karate with a black belt not sure what degree, but has learned many of the different kinds of Karate. Still goes in open tournaments!!!

Indeed, I believe it is good for people of all ages. The children gain self confidence and how to treat others.

-VR
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 13:58
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Maybe, and this is just an idea and maybe not a great one but, non-the-less an idea...change jobs from taxi driver (sitting all day) to a construction job, say as a street sweeper., which might accomplish two things, help lose some of the "belly fat" and you'd have a broom, for self defense. 🤔 🙂
    I couldn't take the Pay cut
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 14:04
    I couldn't take the Pay cut
    Well good luck with the Karate then. How have you and the family been keeping Huck?
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 14:47
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Well good luck with the Karate then. How have you and the family been keeping Huck?
    All good in the Huck family. How is you and yours? I miss the chess meets. I'd go again if they came back around.
  11. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 18:33
    Good luck and enjoy it Huck. She will appreciate it, you will appreciate it and it'll be some good time spent together.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 19:44

"You're the best...
    Around.
    I (58) currently attend ballet class with my daughter (4).
    And that is exhausting enough!
    She said "Well done" to me last week because I finished the class and didn't bail out!

Enjoy your time with her Huck!
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 11:51
    All good in the Huck family. How is you and yours? I miss the chess meets. I'd go again if they came back around.
    All good in the GBS family. I too would go. Maybe one over your way?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree