General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    16 Nov '16 20:05
    It's official our great leader has deemed SH1 (in NZ) "really stuffed".

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11749001

    I didn't know he was a Civil Engineer!

    For those who are interested in how bad recent quake was ...
    YouTube
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    16 Nov '16 21:43
    There's only one thing less important than an earthquake in New Zealand,
    and that is my neighbor's cat getting neutered.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    17 Nov '16 00:29
    Originally posted by Seitse
    There's only one thing less important than an earthquake in New Zealand,
    and that is my neighbor's cat getting neutered.
    Your humanity is duly noted.
    How's the cat?
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    322135
    17 Nov '16 07:22
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It's official our great leader has deemed SH1 (in NZ) "really stuffed".

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11749001

    I didn't know he was a Civil Engineer!

    For those who are interested in how bad recent quake was ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9bgcli1dg
    I guess that bit of road is about to become a tunnel - from the look of the landslips any replacement road would have to be hung on pylons - and they're just as susceptible to earthquakes.

    What kind of construction does it take to build such a tunnel in earthquake territory?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    17 Nov '16 10:16
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I guess that bit of road is about to become a tunnel - from the look of the landslips any replacement road would have to be hung on pylons - and they're just as susceptible to earthquakes.

    What kind of construction does it take to build such a tunnel in earthquake territory?
    I cant see that slip being stable enough to tunnel through.
    Alternative routes will be expensive.

    We are still paying to rebuild Christchurch from the 2011 quake ...
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    322135
    17 Nov '16 12:07
    We're having a similar problem with our Great Ocean Road, although our landslips were caused by bushfires causing erosion. Our govt. has no choice but to fix things whatever the cost because of the tourist economy. I suspect NZ is in the same situation.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    17 Nov '16 15:15
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I guess that bit of road is about to become a tunnel - from the look of the landslips any replacement road would have to be hung on pylons - and they're just as susceptible to earthquakes.

    What kind of construction does it take to build such a tunnel in earthquake territory?
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241035546_Damage_to_mountain_tunnels_related_to_the_Wenchuan_earthquake_and_some_suggestions_for_aseismic_tunnel_construction
Back to Top