1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:461 edit
    @divegeester said
    Massive amounts of man-power (non gender specific power I should say), same as how the pyramids were constructed. People had a lot of time on their hands in those days of no internet, TV or cheap holidays in the Algarve πŸ˜€
    Ha ha... πŸ™‚
    It must have taken generations to build Stonehenge, people didn'thave very long lives.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:50
    @divegeester
    Actually people DID NOT have a lot of time on their hands.

Getting food was a full time job.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:55
    @torunn said
    Ha ha... πŸ™‚
    It must have taken generations to build Stonehenge, people didn'thave very long lives.
    I imagine so. Same with the pyramids.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:58
    @wolfgang59 said
    @divegeester
    Actually people DID NOT have a lot of time on their hands.

Getting food was a full time job.
    Agreed. No MaccyDees either!

Nevertheless to provide sufficient manpower to locate, quary and transport those stones would have been a huge human resource effort from several neighbouring communities I expect.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 13:23
    @divegeester said
    Agreed. No MaccyDees either!

Nevertheless to provide sufficient manpower to locate, quary and transport those stones would have been a huge human resource effort from several neighbouring communities I expect.
    "Built in several stages, Stonehenge began about 5,000 years ago as a simple earthwork enclosure where prehistoric people buried their cremated dead. The stone circle was erected in the centre of the monument in the late Neolithic period, around 2500 BC.
    Two types of stone are used at Stonehenge: the larger sarsens, and the smaller bluestones. There are 83 stones in total."
    /BBC History Magazine and BBC World Histories Magazine
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 22:37
    @chaney3 said
    Who has visited Stonehenge?

There seem to be a lot of people on this site that are close to it.

What did you think?
    I've been there, twice. Once when one could still get up close and touch the stones, and there was hardly anyone else there. Then again later after fences had been erected. It's a disappointment now that you can't get close and hoards of visitors are milling around.

I found Avebury more impressive.
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 22:56
    I have been.
    Prefer Woodhenge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree