1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Aug '15 11:04
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Comment: The phrase "pampered snowflakes" is incredibly apropos as a memorable description of many in the younger generation.
    Whereas "mealy-mouthed senilescents" describes a certain older generation to a T.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Aug '15 22:32
    I've never seen passive aggression this subtle since Mia Farrow
    stopped menstruating.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '15 03:522 edits
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I was brought up to pick my battles as, same way it happens with life
    itself, we all have a limited amount of gunpowder. That's what is called
    in Spanish slang saving fuel for big fires. Nowadays I see a bunch
    of people spending time and effort in countless crusades which, regardless
    of how commendable and noble in principle level, either (a) lead ...[text shortened]... against the have-nots.

Take my words with a grain of salt., though. I lean towards anarchism.
    A noble sounding call to support racism in the third world, but hardly in perspective with the article you posted a link to which was about comedians struggling to connect with a college campus audience due to thier inability to naturally discern the humour in non PC material. My, albeit pinhole, observation that contemporary 18-21 year old undergraduates seem to display a diminished interest in the domestic political agenda is hardly them "saving thier fuel for a bigger fire" and more revealling of a creeping political apathy reflective of the "millennial" mind-set.

But to my earlier point, none of this has anything to do with your well meant but clumsy and rejected attempt at edgy humour on the Internet. You are not a comic and this is not a college campus.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Aug '15 08:37
    Originally posted by divegeester
    A noble sounding call to support racism in the third world

You are not a comic and this is not a college campus.
    1. Articulate that and don't spare logical arguments.

2. How do you know, Einstein?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Aug '15 15:17
    Sometimes I read The Atlantic, despite being a beehive of
    lesbians and PC Stalinists. And, every once in a while, it
    pays off.

This article is SO relevant to this forum that I encourage you
    to read it:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/thats-not-funny/399335/#disqus_thread

Enjoy.
    "he (Seinfeld) said in a radio interview that comics warn him not to “go near colleges—they’re so PC.”

Since when was Jerry Seinfeld the least bit offensive? The guy barely (if ever) even uses profanity. I'd like to see what college a guy like him had to be "warned" not to bring his material to.
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    11 Aug '15 15:30
    Yeah, forget the second part, div. What matters is the article in itself.

While I despise hate speech, a generation of pampered snowflakes is
    not a good thing. The struggles which were built on freedom are now
    striving for exactly the opposite. I do not claim to have the answer, but
    this is not a good thing.

Now, on the comedic side of things, how is ...[text shortened]... is, by all means,
    an anarchic, chaotic, and rebellious act, both in its brewing and explosion.
    so true the PC brigade need a rocket up their rectum.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    11 Aug '15 22:431 edit
    Continuing the theme of how the PC culture affects comedy:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150804-comedy-in-the-age-of-outrage-when-jokes-go-too-far

The point about people checking their smartphones and only pricking their ears up and complaining when they hear trigger words like 'paedophile' or 'n&_gger' is so true. I've even caught myself doing it several times. It's astonishing how different a joke or discussion can sound when you're paying it due attention than when your mind is on something else altogether.

As Jon Ronson says, "Nobody seems to be able to tell the difference between a racist joke and a liberal joke that comments on racism." Sexist/racist/edgy in any way, the result is the same, and it's making a mockery of our claims in the West to be open-minded and to value freedom of speech and pluralism. It's also helping generate a sort of very unhelpful 'extreme free speech outrageousness' (sorry I can't put it better) from some creative people (and many more who are less so) who feel that they're victims of this PC culture. Which often only causes further polarisation and ill-feeling. The whole situation is an absolute bloody mess.

I think Seitse somewhat falls into this group, as do some others on rhp in different ways. But I respect and enjoy the sophistication of his wit and humour and am willing to appreciate how cleverly he uses his scatalogical and vice-soaked subject matter to convey perceptive and trenchant observations on human failings and hyprocrisies.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '15 23:091 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Continuing the theme of how the PC culture affects comedy:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150804-comedy-in-the-age-of-outrage-when-jokes-go-too-far

The point about people checking their smartphones and only pricking their ears up and complaining when they hear trigger words like 'paedophile' or 'n&_gger' is so true. I've even caught myself doi ...[text shortened]... d subject matter to convey perceptive and trenchant observations on human failings and hyprocrisies.
    NoEarthlyReason, may I ask why you seemingly approve of an in your face nether
    region fixation in an online public forum accessible to thirteen year olds?
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    11 Aug '15 23:281 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    NoEarthlyReason, may I ask why you seemingly approve of an in your face nether
    region fixation in an online public forum accessible to thirteen year olds?
    No. But try to remember that children are a lot smarter than you, and probably don't have the slightest interest in what Seitse is posting. And have you noticed the INTERNET lately?

One wonders why you still keep reading his threads if you are so offended by them. You know what you are going to get, but you still keep coming back for more. Perhaps you also have a 'nether region fixation' and should be kept away from 13-year-olds?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 07:58
    No. But try to remember that children are a lot smarter than you, and probably don't have the slightest interest in what Seitse is posting. And have you noticed the INTERNET lately?

One wonders why you still keep reading his threads if you are so offended by them. You know what you are going to get, but you still keep coming back for more. Perhaps you also have a 'nether region fixation' and should be kept away from 13-year-olds?
    Thanks for your reply.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '15 18:45
    Originally posted by vivify
    "he (Seinfeld) said in a radio interview that comics warn him not to “go near colleges—they’re so PC.”

Since when was Jerry Seinfeld the least bit offensive?
    Never mind offensive - since when was Jerry Seinfeld a comedian!? I've seen politicians make less trite, anodyne speeches than his, with more jokes per minute than he has per act.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 09:38

BOOM!

C-C-C-C-C-C-COM BREAKER!!!!! HA!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree