General Forum

General Forum

  1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Jul '16 01:302 edits
    josephw (on another thread): I once heard a story about how Trump had a flat tire and a passerby stopped and fixed the flat. Trump tracked the man down and thanked him by pay off his mortgage.

    That may or may not be a true story. It doesn't matter; it's a story that contains a moral.

    Anyone care to make up little C21st folk tales (not longer nor any or more involved than the one above) that might depict a modified American Dream under a Trump presidency? [/b]
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35765
    29 Jul '16 01:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    josephw (on another thread): [b]I once heard a story about how Trump had a flat tire and a passerby stopped and fixed the flat. Trump tracked the man down and thanked him by pay off his mortgage.

    That may or may not be a true story. It doesn't matter; it's a story that contains a moral.

    Anyone care to make up little C21st folk tales (not longer nor any ...[text shortened]... ved than the one above) that might depict a modified American Dream under a Trump presidency? 😛[/b]
    I prefet NOT to focus on fear and hate in a thread titled "The American Dream". As an American, I'd much rather discuss the hope and realization of potential inherent in my country. If you really want to talk about fear and hate in America, perhaps you should title it "The Twisting of the American Dream".

    The real "American Dream" has no room for fear or hate.
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Jul '16 01:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I prefer NOT to focus on fear and hate in a thread titled "The American Dream".
    The thread title contains "fear and hate"?
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Jul '16 01:52
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As an American, I'd much rather discuss the hope and realization of potential inherent in my country. If you really want to talk about fear and hate in America, perhaps you should title it "The Twisting of the American Dream". The real "American Dream" has no room for fear or hate.
    Then why not reflect these views of yours by making up little C21st folk tale that depicts your rebuttal of any modified American Dream that might emerge under a Trump presidency?
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Jul '16 01:551 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I prefet NOT to focus on fear and hate in a thread titled "The American Dream".
    Do you think this little anecdote about Trump contains contains "fear and hate"?

    I once heard a story about how Trump had a flat tire and a passerby stopped and fixed the flat. Trump tracked the man down and thanked him by pay off his mortgage
  6. Standard memberchaney3
    Bring it on.......
    Joined
    26 Dec '14
    Moves
    29912
    29 Jul '16 02:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    josephw (on another thread): [b]I once heard a story about how Trump had a flat tire and a passerby stopped and fixed the flat. Trump tracked the man down and thanked him by pay off his mortgage.

    That may or may not be a true story. It doesn't matter; it's a story that contains a moral.

    Anyone care to make up little C21st folk tales (not longer nor a ...[text shortened]... d than the one above) that might depict a modified American Dream under a Trump presidency? [/b][/b]
    Years ago, an elderly couple, on a trip, had to stop at a hotel late at night due to stormy weather. All rooms were booked, but the hotel clerk let the couple stay in his own personal room at that hotel. The elderly couple were impressed by the man's kindness.

    The elderly man was William Waldorf Astor, who went on to build the Waldorf Astoria. He called on that clerk, George Boldt to be the manger of his brand new hotel.

    Kindness and going the extra mile were rewarded.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    29 Jul '16 02:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    josephw (on another thread): [b]I once heard a story about how Trump had a flat tire and a passerby stopped and fixed the flat. Trump tracked the man down and thanked him by pay off his mortgage.

    That may or may not be a true story. It doesn't matter; it's a story that contains a moral.

    Anyone care to make up little C21st folk tales (not longer nor a ...[text shortened]... d than the one above) that might depict a modified American Dream under a Trump presidency? [/b][/b]
    Hillary for prison in 2016!
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    29 Jul '16 02:46
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Kindness and going the extra mile were rewarded.
    It'll be great if the American Dream modifies and expands itself to include 'kindness and going the extra mile being rewarded' under Trump (personally, I'd prefer 'kindness and going the extra mile even without being rewarded'😉 although, in my experience, things like kindness and going the extra mile are things that I have encountered in every country I've ever lived in or been to, and surely cannot be tied to any particular country's "Dream".

    The OP had this wiki definition in mind: The American Dream is a national ethos of the United States, the set of ideals (Democracy, Rights, Liberty, Opportunity, and Equality) in which freedom includes the opportunity for prosperity and success, and an upward social mobility for the family and children, achieved through hard work in a society with few barriers.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    29 Jul '16 22:261 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    It'll be great if the American Dream modifies and expands itself to include 'kindness and going the extra mile being rewarded' under Trump (personally, I'd prefer 'kindness and going the extra mile even without being rewarded'😉 although, in my experience, things like kindness and going the extra mile are things that I have encountered in every country I've ever ...[text shortened]... lity for the family and children, achieved through hard work in a society with few barriers.[/i]
    There are two competing American Dreams. They are based on competing concepts of the family, which is the arch-typical government. They are not exclusive to American culture.

    The concepts are "The Nurturant Parent family (progressive) and the Strict Father family (conservative)."

    This is explained at least in terms of Trump, at

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-lakoff/understanding-trump_b_11144938.html
  10. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    30 Jul '16 03:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    josephw (on another thread): [b]I once heard a story about how Trump had a flat tire and a passerby stopped and fixed the flat. Trump tracked the man down and thanked him by pay off his mortgage.

    That may or may not be a true story. It doesn't matter; it's a story that contains a moral.

    Anyone care to make up little C21st folk tales (not longer nor a ...[text shortened]... d than the one above) that might depict a modified American Dream under a Trump presidency? [/b][/b]
    Dang! Did I misspell paying?

    Perhaps I misunderstand the intent of the OP, but the American dream is, in my opinion, about freedom from tyranny first. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Under law. Equality. It's a dream. I've been living all my life. God bless America.
  11. Subscriberdivegeester
    digital entity
    libera te ex inferis
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88258
    30 Jul '16 08:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    Hillary for prison in 2016!
    Republicans unite!
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35765
    30 Jul '16 17:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    Then why not reflect these views of yours by making up little C21st folk tale that depicts your rebuttal of any modified American Dream that might emerge under a Trump presidency?
    It's not a "little folk tale", however badly you anti-American nationalists want to make it so.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35765
    30 Jul '16 17:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    Hillary for prison in 2016!
    Trump is the only national candidate who is actually up for indictment on any charges.

    Specifically, for fraud.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35765
    30 Jul '16 17:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    The OP had this wiki definition in mind: The American Dream is a national ethos of the United States, the set of ideals (Democracy, Rights, Liberty, Opportunity, and Equality) in which freedom includes the opportunity for prosperity and success, and an upward social mobility for the family and children, achieved through hard work in a society with few barriers.
    And this is exactly why the American dream has no room for Donald Trump and his vision of fear and division for America.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35765
    30 Jul '16 17:38
    Originally posted by josephw
    Dang! Did I misspell paying?

    Perhaps I misunderstand the intent of the OP, but the American dream is, in my opinion, about freedom from tyranny first. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Under law. Equality. It's a dream. I've been living all my life. God bless America.
    Yeah, it's been working fine, if you're white, male, or rich. If you're not one of these, not so much. And not much for anybody under a Donald Trump presidency. We already have work to do, let's not add to the load.
Back to Top