General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    23 Jun '13 15:36
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=3OGyLHu24rk&NR=1

    He puts it together in front of you then starts it up! Amazing!
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 Jun '13 17:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=3OGyLHu24rk&NR=1

    He puts it together in front of you then starts it up! Amazing!
    Incredibly intricate construction. With each minute the velocity increases at dizzying speed. After watching the entire clip, I sat back in the green recliner in my living room with one observation: "And how fleeting are the very minutes and hours and days of our temporal lives. Sonhouse, thank you. Bob
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    24 Jun '13 18:27
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Incredibly intricate construction. With each minute the velocity increases at dizzying speed. After watching the entire clip, I sat back in the green recliner in my living room with one observation: "And how fleeting are the very minutes and hours and days of our temporal lives. Sonhouse, thank you. Bob
    If you watch closely you can see the balls in the rectangular holding pens where they drop into the holes for them. They take little trips around the wood but never seeming to take the exact same path. That is the essence of chaos.

    In math there is a term for it, the "attractor'', in this case the hole is the attractor, the tilt of the little rectangle also but the paths the marbles take can vary each time it hits the wood. That is amazing to me!
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97046
    24 Jun '13 18:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If you watch closely you can see the balls in the rectangular holding pens where they drop into the holes for them. They take little trips around the wood but never seeming to take the exact same path. That is the essence of chaos.

    In math there is a term for it, the "attractor'', in this case the hole is the attractor, the tilt of the little rectangle a ...[text shortened]... so but the paths the marbles take can vary each time it hits the wood. That is amazing to me!
    Is it possible that after the marbles "plunking" onto the wood for a time would leave small pockmarks and thus cause that effect?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    24 Jun '13 18:36
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Is it possible that after the marbles "plunking" onto the wood for a time would leave small pockmarks and thus cause that effect?
    I think it is due to the magnificent design in the wood, making dips and little hills in odd places, but smoothed out. I think if it were due to small pockmarks they would reproduce the same pattern but the pattern varies each time, the hallmark of chaos.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97046
    24 Jun '13 18:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think it is due to the magnificent design in the wood, making dips and little hills in odd places, but smoothed out. I think if it were due to small pockmarks they would reproduce the same pattern but the pattern varies each time, the hallmark of chaos.
    I defer to an expert. I have an inquisitive mind and always look for other possibilities to specific issues.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    24 Jun '13 18:47
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Incredibly intricate construction. With each minute the velocity increases at dizzying speed. After watching the entire clip, I sat back in the green recliner in my living room with one observation: "And how fleeting are the very minutes and hours and days of our temporal lives. Sonhouse, thank you. Bob
    Like sands through the hourglass... so are the Days of Our Lives
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    24 Jun '13 20:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If you watch closely you can see the balls in the rectangular holding pens where they drop into the holes for them. They take little trips around the wood but never seeming to take the exact same path. That is the essence of chaos.

    In math there is a term for it, the "attractor'', in this case the hole is the attractor, the tilt of the little rectangle a ...[text shortened]... so but the paths the marbles take can vary each time it hits the wood. That is amazing to me!
    Yes, I did note the variable pathways. Amazing. Imagine how the genius of this marvelous "quad marble machine" pales in comparison with the known/documented intricacies, self regulating and regenerative functions of the human body and mind.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    322045
    25 Jun '13 06:41
    I want one! Most relaxing 15 minutes of my day ....
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    25 Jun '13 17:29
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I want one! Most relaxing 15 minutes of my day ....
    I didn't see they were for sale but if they are I bet he wants 3 thou for it. If not more. BTW, do you have a ham license also? Did P tell you what bands he works?
Back to Top