1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 00:40
    Here is a thread for boasting about one's humble beginnings, pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps, learning the hard way, being as poor as church mice etc. We can couch everything in terms of "I knew someone who..." and "I have a friend that..." etc. so that we can guard our privacy.
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 00:451 edit
    @fmf said
    Here is a thread for boasting about one's humble beginnings, pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps, learning the hard way, being as poor as church mice etc. We can couch everything in terms of "I knew someone who..." and "I have a friend that..." etc. so that we can guard our privacy.
    For me, we can start very simply with, "Where did I put my keys", to which entire odes have been written, to the complex and ridiculous, "Leave that man alone".

Do I ever learn?

On ne sait jamais...
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 00:48
    i was born in the bayou down near to baton rouge
    mosquitoes as big as buzzards hoooweee
    i was raised by alligators and a couple snakes, mud puppies was my onlyiest friends

i did learn to bite pretty good
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 00:51
    Day before yesterday, I determined to have my car washed at one of those places in which one drives through and the machine in the carport does all the work. It was at a gas station and when I approached the controls, I realized that there was no place to record my credit card. I should have purchased gasoline as well as a car wash at the pump and obtained a code. What did I do with a line of four cars behind me? I waited twenty minutes, drove through, drove to another car wash that was closed and then back to the gas station where I purchased gasoline.

After gaining the code, I got in line and noticed several cars in line and their drivers getting out of their cars, running to the gas station cashier and back into their cars with the code. At least I wasn't the only one...90 minutes later...

I am the queen of smart girl stupid...
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 07:311 edit
    During a walk some years ago, I lost my way in one of the forests in a huge area not so far from where I live. It was early spring, and for some incomprehensible reason I decided to continue my walk into the forest rather than keeping to the road. My cellphone was an old, simple model. I called my friend who advised me to call the police and after a long conversation with them, they managed with the help of their computers to locate where I was. They sent a helicopter to spot me, and then a police car to pick me up. I stick to open areas, roads and people since then.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 07:51
    I knew somebody who lived in deck access flats where the neighbours liked to hang orange lodge banners on the balcony in the marching season. The problem was that it was too high up for the drunks to aim projectiles accurately so when the pubs turned out objects would keep bouncing off their windows!
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 22:12
    4 Yorkshiremen
    YouTube

with Marty Feldman & Tim Brooke-Taylor
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 22:52
    @fmf said
    I once stole a truck loaded with ice from a local skate rink.
  9. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 23:57
    @Torunn

😵

you did what??? lol

Torunn, you're smarter than that, gal
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 06:261 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @Torunn

😵

you did what??? lol

Torunn, you're smarter than that, gal
    I wasn't... and it was a good lesson.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 06:40
    @fmf said
    I imagine this is just prologue for yet another story about your time in the yakuza.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 08:37
    @suzianne said
    I imagine this is just prologue for yet another story about your time in the yakuza.
    “Yet another story”

I’ve missed these, got any links pls?
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 09:00
    @wolfgang59 said
    4 Yorkshiremen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

Excellent! When I read back my post I nearly added that we used to live in carboard box in middle of road.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 09:55
    @wolfgang59 said
    4 Yorkshiremen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

Still works even today; although humour was much funnier when I were a lad.

I do prefer the Python version though.
  15. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    21 Apr '20 12:22
    @petewxyz said
    Excellent! When I read back my post I nearly added that we used to live in carboard box in middle of road.
    Never seen that version - only the Hollywood Bowl. Pure class...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree