1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 18:182 edits
    @divegeester said
    [A micro-fiction - 100 words]

All I did was push the pawn forward, just a little, at first. I didn’t notice any change initially so I pushed the pawn further forward, toward even greater speed and it began to glow in the heat of time dilation; becoming a Red Hot Pawn.

It was intoxicating! I played and played. Hours flew by in seconds, then days then weeks then mont ...[text shortened]... l chequered mates.

A voice called out to me ... Good night George.

Goodbye Filby, I replied.
    A quizzical rendering which impresses me with its curious reference to notorious spy Kim Philby("Filby"😉.

Intentional?

Edit: OK...I get the H.G. Wells reference now. I tend to over, or perhaps better, under-think... sometimes. 😀
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 18:43
    @wolfe63 said
    A quizzical rendering which impresses me with its curious reference to notorious spy Kim Philby("Filby"😉.

Intentional?
    David Filby old chap was a character in the Time Machine. (My second favorite book by H. G. Wells after 'The invisible man' ).
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 18:55
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    David Filby old chap was a character in the Time Machine. (My second favorite book by H. G. Wells after 'The invisible man' ).
    Ahhhhhhh>>>thanks. I hadn't the slightest idea to what Wolfgang was referencing about Wells. To my discredit, I've never read an H.G. Wells novel, having optioned to laziness in watching solely the films based on his work.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 19:39
    @wolfe63 said
    Ahhhhhhh>>>thanks. I hadn't the slightest idea to what Wolfgang was referencing about Wells. To my discredit, I've never read an H.G. Wells novel, having optioned to laziness in watching solely the films based on his work.
    The Invisible man is a book known to hook readers on the first page.

😀
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 22:29
    @wolfe63 said

Intentional?

Edit: OK...I get the H.G. Wells reference now. I tend to over, or perhaps better, under-think... sometimes. 😀
    The Time Machine is a wonderful story of a man tying to inspire his friend to realise his dream for a better future for mankind, and in doing so realised that there isn’t one and finds love instead.

Soppy really.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 23:03
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Trivia
    A descendant of Wells's worked on the film Back to the Future.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '20 07:50
    @wolfgang59 said
    Trivia
    A descendant of Wells's worked on the film Back to the Future.
    Reciprocated trivia:

In the 1979 film Time After Time, the time traveler in the story is imagined as being H.G. Wells himself. Having traveled to the present time, he meets Amy Robbins, who was played by Mary Steenburgen.

Mary Steenburgen played Clara Clayton in Back to the Future Part III.

😲
  8. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    29 Jul '20 09:38
    @divegeester said
    The Time Machine is a wonderful story of a man tying to inspire his friend to realise his dream for a better future for mankind, and in doing so realised that there isn’t one and finds love instead.

Soppy really.
    I know, it's true, a book is almost always better than a movie.

But that 1960 film really scared me as a little tyke. I couldn't have been much more than 3 when I saw it on television for the first time. In fact, I recall having a nightmare because of those creepy Morlocks.

These are two scenes that I recall as frightening at that time:

YouTube - The Siren's Call

YouTube - Morlocks

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree