1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 04:31
    @chessturd said
    The whole club forum idea didn't work.
    Nobody posts in those forums. Some clubs have gone years without a single forum post.
    I propose a paying member forum with no moderators and let the regular forums be moderated.
    Don't like it? Don't read it.
    Start a forum only clan or a forum only club and invite who you want in. Those forums are completely unmoderated.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 12:50
    @divegeester said
    Start a forum only clan or a forum only club and invite who you want in. Those forums are completely unmoderated.
    Good idea, he would be the only one who could do the moderating!!!

-VR
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 13:08
    If you operate a private forum-only club you need to be careful who you let in. The most volatile posters can go very quiet when the popcorn-eaters aren't present, so you need to choose the ones who aren't just performing for the audience.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 13:262 edits
    @kewpie said
    If you operate a private forum-only club you need to be careful who you let in. The most volatile posters can go very quiet when the popcorn-eaters aren't present, so you need to choose the ones who aren't just performing for the audience.
    Many people such as myself are in clubs but just there for the games. It is rare I even talk in them. It is a good place to practice different openings and try things out.

I try to play in games where the openings are already set, so I can learn new things. Another good reason to have the clan rating sperate from the club, tournament and private game ratings. A lot of the same people are in the clubs that are in the Public forums anyway! So you have pretty much the same audience as you put it.

I speak only for myself of course but I would say the same thing in a Private Club that I would in here. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

-VR
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 14:53
    I've found it's harder to keep several threads active when there's a limited audience. The public General forum has many more potential posters which increases the variety of threads. And even there it's the same few posters posting the same posts in every thread, no matter what the original intent of the thread in question.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 15:20
    @kewpie said
    I've found it's harder to keep several threads active when there's a limited audience. The public General forum has many more potential posters which increases the variety of threads. And even there it's the same few posters posting the same posts in every thread, no matter what the original intent of the thread in question.
    Our club forum, Kewpie, is very limited to only a few regular posters. Would others be more active if we were less active, thus giving the others time to react and act?
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 15:28
    @torunn said
    Our club forum, Kewpie, is very limited to only a few regular posters. Would others be more active if we were less active, thus giving the others time to react and act?
    People post a bit when they first arrive, but after that they seem to lose interest unless I send out reminders. I think it's just the nature of the forum beast. I've seen the same comment in many different forums since facebook and twitter swamped the market.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 12:11
    @kewpie said
    People post a bit when they first arrive, but after that they seem to lose interest unless I send out reminders. I think it's just the nature of the forum beast. I've seen the same comment in many different forums since facebook and twitter swamped the market.
    I find private clubs that are for chat only get very boring, very quickly!!!

-VR
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 May '19 12:55
    @very-rusty said
    I find private clubs that are for chat only get very boring, very quickly!!!

-VR
    Which is true for all private Clubs who let you in I presume.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 May '19 13:001 edit
    @ponderable said
    Which is true for all private Clubs who let you in I presume.
    Look at the list of Clubs that I am in, not that I actually participate much except to play in their tournaments. Too freaking boring for me in the forum!! 😛 Everyone has their own tastes though just not for me when it comes to chat.

Also, I realize you want to stay on side with the crowd so have to throw a shot my way!!! 😛 😉

-VR
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 07:35
    @very-rusty said
    Look at the list of Clubs that I am in, not that I actually participate much except to play in their tournaments. Too freaking boring for me in the forum!! 😛 Everyone has their own tastes though just not for me when it comes to chat.

Also, I realize you want to stay on side with the crowd so have to throw a shot my way!!! 😛 😉

-VR
    You offer yourself as target very aggressivekly, so....you presume everything as shot.
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 12:45
    @ponderable said
    You offer yourself as target very aggressivekly, so....you presume everything as shot.
    I hear it's best not to "take a shot in the dark" because the target may not be who you think it is.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 13:23
    @ponderable said
    Aggressivekly?...LOL... I think you may have meant aggressively!!! 😛 😉

-VR
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 08:03
    @very-rusty said
    Aggressivekly?...LOL... I think you may have meant aggressively!!! 😛 😉

-VR
    Yes I did.
    You are right. I should take more care when writing.
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 08:11
    I'm up there with nordlys as a grammar/spelling nazi, but I don't pick on obvious typos. We all do it occasionally, and it's just good manners to ignore it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree