1. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    16 Aug '16 22:08
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Rav,
    Why do redhotpawn.com, chessatwork.com, redhotchess.com, timeforchess.com, and playtheimmortalgame.com exist? They are all the same. What is it you don't like about them? Can you tell me a site that has better features? This is the reason for the different looks I believe, so you can use the one you like best! I use chessatwork.com as I find it easy on my eyes.

Regards,
    -VR
    I initially posted because i couldn't reach those timeforchess ecc. sites.
    Then i just wrote that i prefer timeforchess for the layout colors and name, just a atter of personal preference.
    I didn't try to compare the whole brand to other sites.
    I indeed played on other sites, in some still i do, but i won't discuss the different features in here because i do not think it's correct for the site nor I think it is permitted.
    I already said in another thread that I end up always returning here because this is the chess server i like the most, but let me just say that there are different things on other sites and one should just see for himself and understand what he wants from a chess site.
    I like it here mostly for the friendly atmosphere and for habit, but i guess that really serious and strong chess players, not patzers like me, may search something else.
  2. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    17 Aug '16 13:08
    why the dislike to my post? Do the person who disliked my post cannot elaborate a reasonable answer and tell me what's wrong with it?
    I rseally think the like/dislike buttons in full facebook style are detrimental to the discussion, it's a backward step for forums, people cease to write, reply and discuss things and just hit the button, it's so silly.........
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Aug '16 13:36
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I initially posted because i couldn't reach those timeforchess ecc. sites.
    Then i just wrote that i prefer timeforchess for the layout colors and name, just a atter of personal preference.
    I didn't try to compare the whole brand to other sites.
    I indeed played on other sites, in some still i do, but i won't discuss the different features in here because i ...[text shortened]... ss that really serious and strong chess players, not patzers like me, may search something else.
    Rav,
    I told you if you found one you liked better than here, to P.M. me about it! I was sincere about that. I now understand you were comparing the different faces of this site.

Kind Regards,
    -VR
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Aug '16 13:391 edit
    why the dislike to my post? Do the person who disliked my post cannot elaborate a reasonable answer and tell me what's wrong with it?
    I rseally think the like/dislike buttons in full facebook style are detrimental to the discussion, it's a backward step for forums, people cease to write, reply and discuss things and just hit the button, it's so silly.........
    Rav,
    If you stop and think about it, it really isn't so silly after all. If you want to dispute something but don't want to say anything publicly giving it a thumbs up or down is an
    anonymous way to do it, without having to have a confrontation with people over it. Personally, I'd sooner discuss it. 😉

Kind Regards,
    -VR
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Aug '16 16:08
    Rav,
    Who are you comparing it too? I think it is the best site with the best features of any of the sites I've been on. I have a lifetime membership on one of them. Trust me I am not ass kissing, as I been complaining about the collusion going on that mangagement here still have done nothing about.

One of the few sites you can speak your mind ...[text shortened]... e on here, then please send me a site addy by P.M.. I may not have seen it yet.

Regards,
    -VR
    Lifetime membership? Is that available here? I did that with my XM radio, it cost 500 smackers but that was almost 10 years ago and at 10 bucks a month it has already paid for itself 2X over and counting.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Aug '16 16:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Lifetime membership? Is that available here? I did that with my XM radio, it cost 500 smackers but that was almost 10 years ago and at 10 bucks a month it has already paid for itself 2X over and counting.
    Sonhouse,
    I asked for a lifetime membership for this site years ago. I was denied.

Regards,
    -VR
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Aug '16 16:44
    Sonhouse,

Regards,
    -VR
    I believe Russ was rather discombobulated in having you around for a lifetime.

Kindest regards
    Duke of a Cactus
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Aug '16 17:501 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I believe Russ was rather discombobulated in having you around for a lifetime.

Kindest regards
    Duke of a Cactus
    Goad,
    Some good news for him and you, he may not need to be discombobulated much longer. 😉

Kind Regards,
    -VR
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Aug '16 18:28
    Goad,
    Some good news for him and you, he may not need to be discombobulated much longer. 😉

Kind Regards,
    -VR
    Come sir, I could tolerate you for a good 3 afternoons. (Non-consecutive).

Warmest regards
    Duke of a Wigwam
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Aug '16 00:36
    Sonhouse,

Regards,
    -VR
    Wasn't there a "sustaining" kind of membership at one time, where you pay double the amount for x number of years and it's converted to a lifetime membership?

If there was, it was a LONG time ago. I'm probably thinking of some other site.
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    18 Aug '16 00:49
    There was, i don't remember the amount to be paid but some of the first historic members had a lifetime membership.
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Aug '16 03:131 edit
    There was, i don't remember the amount to be paid but some of the first historic members had a lifetime membership.
    Are you thinking of "original pawn stars"? I am one of those. The way the pawn star name and subscriptions came about was as follows:

Originally membership was free for everyone.
    As more people became members the original server soon became overworked and slow.
    Upgrades to larger and faster servers became necessary. Russ and Chris took care of the expenses of that for a while as the RHP site was just kind of a hobby for them at first, if I remember it right. But after a few upgrades the cost to them became pretty high.

Some of the members made voluntary financial contributions to help them pay for upgrades. This was not a specific amount. It was left up to members to contribute what we could. To give recognition, those who made contributions were given a "pawn star" icon by their name.

As membership and server loads continued to increase, subscription memberships were introduced.

A free membership was (and still is) available to anyone who joins the site, but there were restrictions and limits. These limits did not apply to subscribers, and subscribers were also given a "pawn star" icon with wings. The original pawn star icons did not have wings on their star unless they also subscribed when that option was added. Original pawn stars and subscribers had the same benefits at that time.

The star icons have been changed over the years. (Different shades or red, etc.) At this time the star by my username indicates that I am an "original pawn star", but if I were also a subscriber it would look like any other subscriber's star.

So I am currently an original pawn star but am not a subscriber. As such:
    I do get some of the benefits of a subscriber, but not all of them.
    I do see advertisements.
    I can not create a clan or club.
    I can play in tournaments.
    I can have unlimited concurrent games.

I think that's about it for the differences between "original pawn stars" and subscribers.
    I do not know how many original pawn stars there are, but Russ could probably tell us.
  13. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    18 Aug '16 11:35
    Oh thanks, you couldn't explain it better, originall pawn stars is the correct thing, there was no subscription for lifetime membership but some free benefits to the original volunteers that donated for servers expenses.
    Indeed I'm still stoked to see the date you joined and the "member n.16" under your name.
  14. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Aug '16 12:47
    Oh thanks, you couldn't explain it better, originall pawn stars is the correct thing, there was no subscription for lifetime membership but some free benefits to the original volunteers that donated for servers expenses.
    Indeed I'm still stoked to see the date you joined and the "member n.16" under your name.
    I think lifetime membership subscriptions have been suggested at times in the forums.
    I don't know if the owners ever entered the conversation or considered it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree