1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '16 10:081 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    William Blake did it. It isn't always peculiar.
    I am not talking about literature written 200+ years ago. I'm talking about pretentious waffle scribbled by self-anointed ideologues here at RHP in the last year - and elsewhere. I remember being asked to translate a book into Indonesian by an almost impossibly self-sanctified American fundamentalist Christian. He had capitalized maybe 10-15% of the common nouns in order to give them some sort of gravitas. He kept insisting on certain Indonesian words being used even when he was wrong about what they actually meant in reality to Indonesian readers (he had a dictionary but did not speak or write Indonesian at all). He claimed he had received guidance through prayer. When he finally decided he wanted all capitalized nouns in his text simply left in English ~ complete with their capitals, and italicized ~ we finally told him to take a running jump.
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Mar '16 10:271 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not talking about literature written 200+ years ago. I'm talking about pretentious waffle scribbled by self-anointed ideologues here at RHP in the last year - and elsewhere. I remember being asked to translate a book into Indonesian by an almost impossibly self-sanctified American fundamentalist Christian. He had capitalized maybe 10-15% of the common nouns ...[text shortened]... ish ~ complete with their capitals, and italicized ~ we finally told him to take a running jump.
    Funny story! I wouldn't defend that sort of language use (or fundamentalists in general). I thought you were talking about ordinary Christians.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '16 10:461 edit
    Funny story! I wouldn't defend that sort of language use (or fundamentalists in general). I thought you were talking about ordinary Christians.
    Well Grampy Bobby is an "ordinary Christian" and he has a habit of capitalizing words in some of his flurries of pious word salad from time to time. I am sure the author I was talking about was pretty much an "ordinary Christian" too. That was why he was trying to puff himself (and his regurgitations) up with a generous application of Upper Case Rampant. 😉
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Mar '16 10:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well Grampy Bobby is an "ordinary Christian" and he has a habit of capitalizing words in some of his flurries of pious word salad from time to time. I am sure the author I was talking about was pretty much an "ordinary Christian" too. That was why he was trying to puff himself (and his regurgitations) up with a generous application of Upper Case Rampant. 😉
    I don't think fundamentalists are ordinary Christians. They're barely Christian at all.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '16 11:02
    I don't think fundamentalists are ordinary Christians. They're barely Christian at all.
    I am not so sure we actually get to decide such things. I simply had demographics and the sheer number of Christians who identify themselves in certain ways in mind. Personally I would classify any religionist whose interpersonal communication and dissent-processing skills have been hamstrung to have a 'fundamental' problem. 😉
  6. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    04 Mar '16 11:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not so sure we actually get to decide such things. I simply had demographics and the sheer number of Christians who identify themselves in certain ways in mind. Personally I would classify any religionist whose interpersonal communication and dissent-processing skills have been hamstrung to have a 'fundamental' problem. 😉
    Lots of people have those skill problems without being at all religious. The "pompous twit" appears everywhere ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree