1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 14:29
    Does anyone know or has everyone forgotten?

-VR
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 15:24
    @Very-Rusty

Christmas was set on the date of the winter solistice to have a nice feast at that day. Jesus was born on another date, which we can calculate using the hints from the gospel after Luke.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 15:45
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Christmas doesn’t have a “true” meaning, only the meaning which we give it ourselves.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 15:52
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Christ·mas
    /ˈkrisməs/
    noun
    noun: Christmas; plural noun: Christmases
    the annual Christian festival celebrating Christ's birth, held on December 25 in the Western Church.
    the period immediately before and after December 25.
    "we had guests over Christmas"
    exclamation INFORMAL
    exclamation: Christmas
    expressing surprise, dismay, or despair.

Origin

Old English Crīstes mæsse (see Christ, Mass).
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 16:00
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    it's a pagan ritual for and timed with (as ponderable has noted) the winter solstice...
    trees, yule logs, lights and songs, all were appropriated by the church to pack pews and increase revenues...

this includes YOUR church...
  6. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 18:552 edits
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    There is no meaning, like blades of grass tossed to an uncaring wind, all effort is vain, all order an illusion, Christmas is a vulgar absurdity. I imagine a gift being meticulously crafted, shipped halfway across the country, stacked orderly on a shelf in some store, picked out and wrapped with care. Only to go directly in the trash, because it is useless.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 19:01
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    A time for family.
    A time for children.
    A time for eating too much, drinking too much and reminiscing too much.

An annual celebration stolen by Christians but gradually be reclaimed.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 20:32
    A time to celebrate the beating of New Zealand on Irish soil for the first time in history...

On the 5th day the Lord created rugby, on the 6th the all blacks were created and on 7th day was rest and reflect on the creation of greatness.

Until April 3rd 1996, when Jacob Stockdale was born to give birth to the miracle of 2018.

Happy Christmas 😀
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 22:05
    @Trev33

😠
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 02:081 edit
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." - Luke 2:8-14, KJV

And this, Charlie Brown, is what Christmas is all about.
  11. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 07:28
    There's this bird called Mary, yeah? She's a virgin. She's not married or nuffink, but she's got this boyfriend, Joe, innit? He does joinery an' that. Mary lives with him in a crib dahn Nazaref.

One day Mary meets this bloke Gabriel. She's like "Oo ya lookin at?" Gabriel just goes, "You got one up the duff, you have". She gives it to him large "Stop dissin' me yeah? I ain't no Kappa-slapper. I never bin wiv no one!" So Mary goes and sees her cousin Liz, who's six months gone herself.

Liz is largin' it. She's like "Orright, Mary, I can feel me bay-bee and I reckon I'm well blessed. Think of all the extra weez gonna get on the social an' that." Mary an' Joe ain't got no money so they have to ponse a donkey, an' go dahn Beflehem. But there ain't no room at the inn, innit? So Mary an' Joe break an' enter into this garridge, only it's filled wiv animals. Then these three geezers turn up, looking proper bling, wiv crowns on their 'eads.

They're like "Respect, bay-bee Jesus" and say they're wise men from the East End. Joe goes: "If you're so wise, wotchoo doin' wiv this Frankenstein an' myrrh? Why dincha just bring gold, Adidas and Burberry?"

And that is what Christmas is all about....
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 10:30
    @suzianne said
    "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, [i]Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is ...[text shortened]... d a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

And this, Charlie Brown, is what Christmas is all about.
    I respect your opinion but that is definitely NOT what Christmas is about
    (at least not in UK and NZ) . Christmas is a secular holiday ... do whatever
    you want with it ... but have a good time. Be good, be kind.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 14:11
    @wolfgang59 said
    I respect your opinion but that is definitely NOT what Christmas is about
    (at least not in UK and NZ) . Christmas is a secular holiday ... do whatever
    you want with it ... but have a good time. Be good, be kind.
    More of less what I said, but my post got 3 thumbs down because I’m unpopular with some people.

Btw I ...may... be travelling to NZ in 2019 and could quite easily annoy you further by dropping by!
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 14:221 edit
    @divegeester said
    More of less what I said, but my post got 3 thumbs down because I’m unpopular with some people.

Btw I ...may... be travelling to NZ in 2019 and could quite easily annoy you further by dropping by!
    Dive all you can do is give what your definition of a Christmas means to you. What others think isn't important. Thumbs down aren't important it is just other people's opinions. Rather people myself included agree or disagree with you doesn't matter. We will always get thumbs down as we do have a history with people who don't like that we are out spoken.

I thank you for participating in my question. Giving an honest answer of what your view is on "True Meaning Of Christmas" is what I was looking for.

-VR
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 18:46
    @divegeester said
    Your trolls are better than my trolls!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree