1. Joined
    27 Jul '09
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 11:13
    Hi
    I was reading someones profile warning players not to use chess engines and databases during play.
    I agree and dont understand how people can value their victory if they do this

What is the etiquette regarding gamesexplorer - can players reference this during a match?
    Thanks
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 11:38
    In fact databases are allowed (if they contain games played by humans if you want to be realk sure, and no engame tables!).

The gamesexplorer is allowed, too
  3. Joined
    27 Jul '09
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 12:20
    thanks

seems a bit odd though that a beginner can begin a game with the historical moves of a highly rated player. still, it will only get them so far....
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 12:24
    Originally posted by shaptoni
    thanks

seems a bit odd though that a beginner can begin a game with the historical moves of a highly rated player. still, it will only get them so far....
    Correspondence type chess games have always allowed the use of notes, books and other boards. They have always had rules against third party help. Databases are research tools and allowed. Other people, engines and table bases are therefore third party and not allowed.
  5. Joined
    27 Jul '09
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 16:12
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Correspondence type chess games have always allowed the use of notes, books and other boards. They have always had rules against third party help. Databases are research tools and allowed. Other people, engines and table bases are therefore third party and not allowed.
    Alrighty then, thanks for your replies
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '12 17:09
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Primarily, I use books like the MCO just to get through the opening without bleeding too much. After years of doing this, I've learned an awful lot about openings.
  7. Joined
    27 Jul '09
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 20:45
    Thanks Suzianne, so much to learn!
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 23:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Primarily, I use books like the MCO just to get through the opening without bleeding too much. After years of doing this, I've learned an awful lot about openings.
    Then there are us who just stumble through with the, "oh let's try this" attitude.
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 01:53
    all of my stupid idiotic moves are my own
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 05:401 edit
    Agreed. My rating is proof of my honesty. 🙁
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 07:08
    I had a copy of MCO, back when Fischer v Spassky was news. Pong was state-of-the-art.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree