1. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 03:31
    The saying "slower than molasses in January".
    Johnny came through the door rubbing his hands together and taking his boots and coat off and said " Its colder than molasses".
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 03:34
    Saying "I could care less" when what is actually meant is "I couldn't care less". It's warped, I'd say.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 03:39
    The saying "lets make like a sheep herder and get the flock out of here"
    After work Johnny said to his buddies " lets make like a sheep herder and head out".
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 14:42
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    The saying "lets make like a sheep herder and get the flock out of here"
    After work Johnny said to his buddies " lets make like a sheep herder and head out".
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again" One would expect that you tried your hardest in the first place, no?
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 11:28
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again" One would expect that you tried your hardest in the first place, no?
    No.
    If the philosophy of the person saying this is that you can do everything if you just try hard enough, the only reason for failure is not having tried hard enough.

That philosophy is quite common in the US I think 😉
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 12:13
    The sky's the limit. I see no limit in the sky! 😉
  7. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 13:05
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    The saying "slower than molasses in January".
    Johnny came through the door rubbing his hands together and taking his boots and coat off and said " Its colder than molasses".
    Are moles asses cold ?
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 14:44
    "Lowest common denominator" is a very common misunderstanding in colloquial (non- mathematical) usage, for example in "television programming appeals to the l.c.d". What people mean is "highest common factor", which is lamentably low, but the low in "lowest common denominator" is what sticks in people's minds. Pedantic, I know; I could have been the prototype for Sheldon Cooper.
  9. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 15:38
    Originally posted by moonbus
    "Lowest common denominator" is a very common misunderstanding in colloquial (non- mathematical) usage, for example in "television programming appeals to the l.c.d". What people mean is "highest common factor", which is lamentably low, but the low in "lowest common denominator" is what sticks in people's minds. Pedantic, I know; I could have been the prototype for Sheldon Cooper.
    Did your mother have you tested?
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 18:32
    Yup. I am not crazy.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 18:35
    Please can you clarify, what is the lowest common denominator in my fridge. My wife says it is the cheese and i say the potato salad.

Answer quickly, before she cheats and eats the cheese.
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 18:58
    Hindsight is 50/50.
  13. Rohan
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 19:55
    "Sleep faster, the pillows are rented."
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 10:16
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Please can you clarify, what is the lowest common denominator in my fridge. My wife says it is the cheese and i say the potato salad.

Answer quickly, before she cheats and eats the cheese.
    I can't speak for your fridge, but the lowest common denominator in ours is my wife's home-made strawberry jam. No matter how many jars of it we make, the current jar in the fridge is nearly always nearly empty.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Mar '16 13:40
    I can't speak for your fridge, but the lowest common denominator in ours is my wife's home-made strawberry jam. No matter how many jars of it we make, the current jar in the fridge is nearly always nearly empty.
    Sir, jam has no business being in the fridge.

(Keep at room temperature, but eat within six months).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree