1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Apr '20 16:391 edit
    I am reading "das Jahr der Maus" a collection of Science fiction stories. Already I found tow good ones.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Apr '20 06:30
    I read one of the great Cyberpunk novels:

Walter Williams: Voice of the Whirlwind

It is a good read and has a few really nice ideas. All in all it is not as good as Neuromancer which is a defining work of Cyberpunk and probably a Inspiration to Voice of the whirlwind.
    Also it is leaning very much on a Zen Approach to Military which is not really my Cup of tea.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 17:45
    Call for the Dead - John le Carré - Thought I'd go even earlier!
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 17:54
    @petewxyz said
    Call for the Dead - John le Carré - Thought I'd go even earlier!
    Interesting books!
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:06
    @torunn said
    Interesting books!
    Excellent, so many twists and turns. Could not have anticipated where The Spy who came in from The Cold was going. Tragic and intense!
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:22
    @petewxyz said
    Excellent, so many twists and turns. Could not have anticipated where The Spy who came in from The Cold was going. Tragic and intense!
    And the story will progress in later books.
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 18:28
    @torunn said
    And the story will progress in later books.
    I have The Looking Glass War sitting waiting but thought I would step backwards first and make it last!
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 May '20 09:05
    Just finished:

Joachim Fest: Staatsstreich

A book on German resitsnace against the Nazi tyranny. A really worthwhile book.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    06 May '20 21:471 edit
    @torunn said
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    I have just finished reading this entertaining book, A Gentleman in Moscow, written by Amor Towles:

"A Gentleman in Moscow is the 30-year saga of the Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov, who is placed under house arrest inside the Metropol Hotel in Moscow in 1922 when the Bolsheviks spare him from death or Siberia because of his 1913 revolutionary poem written in university..."

"...epic in its ambition, enthralling in its storytelling, entertaining in its humour and eloquent in its prose. The story is set amongst the socially chaotic birth of communist Russia, yet celebrates the dominion of the individual."

Reading it takes patience but is so rewarding. I think that maybe HandyAndy would like to give it a chance?
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    07 May '20 01:49
    @torunn said
    I have just finished reading this entertaining book, A Gentleman in Moscow, written by Amor Towles:

"A Gentleman in Moscow is the 30-year saga of the Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov, who is placed under house arrest inside the Metropol Hotel in Moscow in 1922 when the Bolsheviks spare him from death or Siberia because of his 1913 revolutionary poem written in university..." ...[text shortened]... it takes patience but is so rewarding. I think that maybe HandyAndy would like to give it a chance?
    Sounds interesting! I'll add it to my list. Right now I'm working my way through Brenda Wineapple's "Ecstatic Nation," but I'll get to it soon. Thanks!
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    07 May '20 14:06
    @handyandy said
    Sounds interesting! I'll add it to my list. Right now I'm working my way through Brenda Wineapple's "Ecstatic Nation," but I'll get to it soon. Thanks!
    I too will check it out but not until I can access, physically, our local library. Too frugal to order it as a keeper. 😲
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 May '20 15:37
    @great-big-stees said
    I too will check it out but not until I can access, physically, our local library. Too frugal to order it as a keeper. 😲
    Good, I hope you will enjoy. I don't visit our library during current circumstances so I buy instead.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 May '20 16:17
    @handyandy said
    I'm glad you will. It may be a bit light-weight literature to you, but I know you will appreciate it for its prose, intelligence and humour.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 May '20 16:32
    @HandyAndy
    So the revolutionary poem was not revolutionary ENOUGH? Jeez, those were GREAT guys back then in the revolution, eh.
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 May '20 20:41
    Betty Smith: A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, published in 1943 but apparently not translated to Swedish until 2019 part 1, and 2020 part 2.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree