1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    01 May '20 08:48
    @fmf said
    When you are browsing for music or hearing about it defined by genres, which descriptors best point towards your tastes and which genres/sub-genres do you dislike or avoid? Are there genres you used to like earlier in life but no longer look for or like?

Acid house, acid jazz, acid techno, acoustic blues, acoustic rock, afrobeat, alternative country, alternative dance, alterna ...[text shortened]... al trance, west coast hip hop, west coast swing, yé-yé, zamrock, zydeco. [list from musicbrainz.org]
    Wow, knew I was ignorant but not quite that much 😮
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 May '20 08:59
    Classical. tradjazz, Dixieland
  3. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    01 May '20 09:46
    I traveled from symphonic rock like E.L.O. Genesis, Marillion, Yes, to New Wave and rock like Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, U2 to Grunge Rock like Nirvana, Soundsgarden, Pearl jam to Shock and Industrial Rock like Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, and then to Post Punk and Garage Punk like Killing Joke, Gang of Four, Les Butcherettes.

Through the decades I always kept the music of The Beatles, The Who. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd close at heart as well.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 May '20 12:51
    I was "going through" my album (vinyl) collection and came across one I hadn't played in decades but remembered how much I'd enjoyed it, Switched on Bach by Wendy (aka, Walter) Carlos. Genre: ‎Electronic‎; ‎baroque,
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    01 May '20 13:04
    If I had a pound for every time I said I liked a certain genre and then somebody says 'yeah, I really like such and such a band' and I think 'not that'. I think people think what they like falls into certain genre but really they like stuff from all different genres and don't like stuff that gets grouped with things they love.

Give it a go. Think of what you believe is your genre then see how many things you can think of that you can't even listen to that are lumped into that genre.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 May '20 13:15
    @petewxyz said
    If I had a pound for every time I said I liked a certain genre and then somebody says 'yeah, I really like such and such a band' and I think 'not that'. I think people think what they like falls into certain genre but really they like stuff from all different genres and don't like stuff that gets grouped with things they love.

Give it a go. Think of what you believe is yo ...[text shortened]... see how many things you can think of that you can't even listen to that are lumped into that genre.
    Experimental Rock. The one that comes, immediately, to mind for me is Yoko Ono's "ditty": "Don't Worry Kyoko, Mummy's Only Looking for Her Hand in the Snow." I actually have the Album. I think she was on the B side of one of John's "lesser known" ones.
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    01 May '20 14:332 edits
    @drewnogal said
    Wow, knew I was ignorant but not quite that much 😮
    Have just discovered that I like Avant-garde music & Doo-wop,
    as in Frank Zappa 😺 Jazz Fusion as in Steely Dan, Progressive Rock & Indie Rock.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '20 14:35
    As a musician, I tend towards Jazz and Blues (all types) first and foremost. Close behind is Classical, as I use it mainly to practice and gauge my ability (although I love a good piano sonata). Listening, I tend to focus on Rock, then Jazz, Blues and Reggae, with occasional visits to my local Classical FM station.

I don't tend to deconstruct every piece of music to the cellular level. I don't care much for "sub-genres". I know what I like and what I don't like, but labels generally don't interest me.
  9. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    01 May '20 15:01
    It changes depending on mood.
    Currently: Alternative or Indie Rock
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '20 23:00
    @FMF
    Folk music from the likes of Pete Seeger, Ramblin Jack Elliot, Doc Watson, Martin Simpson, June Tabor, Martin Carthy, Ledbelly, Arlo Guthrie, Woody Guthrie, the Limeliters, Peter Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Debbie McClatchy, Eugene Odonnell, Boys of the Lough, Davy Graham, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch, Pentangle, Roger Welch, Will Geer, Ledbelly, Town Van Zandt to name a few.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree