Moves
    02 Oct '13 08:011 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 08:08
    I can't think of a particular profession but I would like to work at different places abroad.
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 08:18

4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 08:30
    Drew, I just recalled what I would have preferred to do, but it was too late for me to choose another education - I would have loved to work as a midwife.
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 08:421 edit

6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 08:52
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I think you grow emotionally the more experience you have over the years. I have always worked as a secretary at different companies, and there is no emotional growth in that!
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 09:41
    engine-driver

Sadly enough steam locomotives had been abandoned until I was old enough 🙁
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 11:001 edit
    A vet.

Edit: Animal doctor not "retired" soldier.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 14:28
    Astronaut on the first interstellar voyage.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 14:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Astronaut on the first interstellar voyage.
    Sad note: NASA's 55th birthday was yesterday, but nobody was around to celebrate.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 14:56
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Sad note: NASA's 55th birthday was yesterday, but nobody was around to celebrate.
    There were a few at flight control, apparently, because of some astronauts (American I guess) up in space or maybe it was the US's turn to monitor the International space station.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 18:46
    A helicopter pilot
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 20:04
    I worked as a laborer for a tree service during my high school days. It was very hard work and dangerous too. I am glad I was young. 🙂
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 22:392 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    It was nice working for them back in 1970, worked on Apollo tracking and timing. Cesium beam atomic clocks and the transponder that told how far out in space Apollo was at any given time, accurate to 50 feet. Not bad for 1960's technology, eh.

My highlight at Goddard, getting shown the huge vault containing the moon rocks and being given one to hold in my hand. Talk about epiphany!

BTW, the racks of equipment we used to sync apollo, the HP cesium beam atomic clock and others, is now small enough for a large wrist watch, accurate to within 1 second in 1,000 years!:

http://phys.org/news/2013-10-company-wristwatch-atomic-clock.html

This iteration is a bit large to be called a wrist watch and it costs a mere 12,000 bucks, but this is the first one of its type. Clearly will get smaller and cheaper just like everything else electronic.

My watch is that accurate but only when it receives the radio signal at 60 kilohertz from WWV in colorado, the time hack which keeps the watch accurate.

Lately however, the signal has been mostly not there, maybe I have to wait for winter for it to become reliable again but it hasn't set the watch in almost a month so it is probably over 30 seconds out by now. No big deal but having worked on atomic clocks for a living, I would like my watch to be the same accuracy.

I heard the signal modulation scheme for the WWV time hack has changed to quadrature modulation from the old AM scheme, but they have to broadcast both signals to maintain the older watch radio's. The new modulation scheme is supposed to be more robust and take less signal to be decoded. As it is, I have to have the signal acquired for a full 5 minutes at full strength in order to reset the watch to atomic accuracy.

I saw on the net a 60 Khz antenna/amplifier kit that gives a much stronger signal, you just hold the watch inside the antenna ring and it gets a much stronger signal. The bad news is it costs a couple hundred bucks.

Oh well, that's the breaks.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 23:01
    I didn't want to grow up. So I wanted to be the child I was, instead. I could do that again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree