and how old were you
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 17:22
    Originally posted by redbadger
    and how old were you
    Thread 161342 and Thread 161123 (Page 2)
  3. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 17:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thread 161342 and Thread 161123 (Page 2)
    sorry bob, leave it here.
  4. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 19:18
    sorry bob, leave it here.
    I tried to answer on the old threads just now, but they did not show up. Since my answer was never there, I will give it here. My mother taught me to play chess when I was five or six years old.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 20:002 edits
    The Net tells me he is a big-shot lawyer these days.

The sixth-grade* teacher gave us 15-minute breaks some days in the classroom to do "any quiet activity." I saw some kids playing chess, and enquired as to the rules. Ned was kind enough to show me the rules and played several games against me. I'm pretty sure he won all of them! Back then his intention was to become an architect.

I had one high school class in common with him, and bumped into him by coincidence one time near where he worked half a dozen years later.

At his family's place one time, I heard his mother call out, "Ned, take out the dirt," in her New York accent. I thought that was funny, since in our region it was standard to call it "trash" or "garbage."

"Dirt" is that powdery clay on the ground. 😛

* For those outside the USA, 6th grade ~ 11 years old.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 20:06
    they say i was born with a black and white checked birth mark, pawn shaped fingers and a king sized penis, they say my mother signed her soul away to bobby fisher at the crossroads, they say three grandmaster followed a star bringing me gifts of travel chess, redhotpawn subscription (1yr only) and myrrh.....they say i was not taught chess...i am chess.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 20:09
    and how old were you
    My Dad. I was about seven.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 22:32
    I learned the moves about age 12. I was at a sleepover at a friend's house, he played, I didn't. He showed me how the pieces moved and explained the rules including castling and en passant. I lost 2 games and didn't play again until I got a set for my 21st birthday.

I had a couple of friends that knew how to play. We'd drink and smoke and play chess after work. I loved it, but kept on losing and losing. After a few hundred games (😕) I started catching on and soon after, they quit playing after I won a few times.

I sought out the local chess club. My second visit a guy asked me if I wanted to play. We sat down, I played a double rook sac and mated him with my Q. He invited me to play at his house the next day. We played a ton of blitz. I might have snuck in a win or two. It was evident by his play, and all the trophies on a shelf etc, that he was pretty skilled. At the time he was an A player and city champ. Now he has an LCM title. My friend that taught me the moves? I think he gave up chess and became a VP at Microsoft. 🙂

Moral of the story? Forget chess...
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 22:54
    Life.

Too young to remember.
  10. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 23:03
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    they say i was born with a black and white checked birth mark, pawn shaped fingers and a king sized penis, they say my mother signed her soul away to bobby fisher at the crossroads, they say three grandmaster followed a star bringing me gifts of travel chess, redhotpawn subscription (1yr only) and myrrh.....they say i was not taught chess...i am chess.
    true son of my loins
  11. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 23:05
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I learned the moves about age 12. I was at a sleepover at a friend's house, he played, I didn't. He showed me how the pieces moved and explained the rules including castling and en passant. I lost 2 games and didn't play again until I got a set for my 21st birthday.

I had a couple of friends that knew how to play. We'd drink and smoke and play chess ...[text shortened]... think he gave up chess and became a VP at Microsoft. 🙂

Moral of the story? Forget chess...
    chess its In your soul
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 23:061 edit
    Originally posted by ale1552
    I tried to answer on the old threads just now, but they did not show up. Since my answer was never there, I will give it here. My mother taught me to play chess when I was five or six years old.
    First is still active: your post is there [13 Jan '15 12:32]; second is closed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree