1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:012 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If the Recs page was the reason these people left, they're bigger babies than I had assumed they were.
    "5) Could the gradual changes to the content/format and diminished vigor of this forum reflect the loss of high profile faction leaders with real or imagined causes (most recent losses being Phlabibit and Red Night; causes the Recommendations)?"

If the Recs page was the reason these people left, they're bigger babies than I had assumed they were.

6) As I recall the "Recs page" issue was seized by both factions as a cause celeb; maybe a symptom of a deep online forum need to be pro or con in order to compete for supporters of a cause; maybe a guy thing, maybe not. During those years there were passions and ideas expressed by many. Upsmanship was alive with the sound of convivial conversation, each side trying to best the other. Add to this scenario the loyal fans in the stands cheerleading the daily bread and circuses event; maybe it was all a way of vicariously becoming warriors. In recent years, to present, this forum has become more of a nursing home in comparison. There's a vestige of the "Recs page" spirit today in the Spirituality and Debates Forums.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:08
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    Why?

Originally posted by Rene Pogel Thread 153985 Why is this forum dying" (Page 16) "I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provoking ideas have frequently rejuvenated my flagging mind and I salute you for this. I have not posted anything for quite some time but I still enjoy your comments and the banter on this forum. I will say, however, that if any forum is dying it is the clan forum. I just posted a comment there and then realised when I surveyed the recent postings that this was pointless because the level of activity there is now virtually Marie-Celeste like. I hope that this forum does not go the same way - having eyed it for these seven years I would now diagnose incipient NIDS (new-idea-deficiency-syndrome) despite your excellent prophylactic efforts to treat this."

There also seems to have been an implosion of what President John Kennedy would have called 'vigor'. Why? Your thoughts.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:102 edits
    "Question: In your view, are we performing an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit or an after the fact autopsy?

Question 2) Does this centerpiece forum's demise since 2012 reflect an unanticipated result of a global culture in which a high percentage of all households have cell phones and facebook membership which enable instantaneous contact and social need satisfaction? 3) Does this simultaneity provide a lessening of daily tensions/relaxation? 4) If so, wouldn't the instant gratification of one word/sentence game thread popularity eventually minimize new ideas and sustained conversation?"
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 03:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Question: In your view, are we performing an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit or an after the fact autopsy?

Question 2) Does this centerpiece forum's demise since 2012 reflect an unanticipated result of a global culture in which a high percentage of all households have cell phones and facebook membership which enable instantaneous contac ...[text shortened]... word/sentence game thread popularity eventually minimize new ideas and sustained conversation?"
    This is just verbal diarrhea, Bobby. None of this makes any sense. What are you trying to prove?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '14 10:36
    "5) Could the gradual changes to the content/format and diminished vigor of this forum reflect the loss of high profile faction leaders with real or imagined causes (most recent losses being Phlabibit and Red Night; causes the Recommendations)?"

[b]If the Recs page was the reason these people left, they're bigger ...[text shortened]... rison. There's a vestige of the "Recs page" spirit today in the Spirituality and Debates Forums.
    7) Maybe the answer is simpler than any of us realized: large segments of society have become slaves to the Drive Up/Drive Away/Drive By Culture we live in which now shapes the contours of many gratification comfort zones. A word/a sentence/a Thumbs Up/or Down fits that zone. Sustained Conversations: Yeah, that was back when your father's first Buick was new.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '14 21:38
    7) Maybe the answer is simpler than any of us realized: large segments of society have become slaves to the Drive Up/Drive Away/Drive By Culture we live in which now shapes the contours of many gratification comfort zones. A word/a sentence/a Thumbs Up/or Down fits that zone. Sustained Conversations: Yeah, that was back when your father's first Buick was new.
    8) Negativity. Thread 158160 (Page 6)

"Suzi, you may have finally identified the cause of this forum's gradual demise: "negativity" as the pervasive attitude.

All online forums have a mix of..."
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 08:15
    Why?

Originally posted by Rene Pogel Thread 153985 "Why is this forum dying" (Page 16) "I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provoking ideas have frequently rejuvenated my flagging mind and I salute you for this. I have not posted anything for quite some time but I still enjoy your comments and the banter on this forum. I will say, however, that if any forum is dying it is the clan forum. I just posted a comment there and then realised when I surveyed the recent postings that this was pointless because the level of activity there is now virtually Marie-Celeste like. I hope that this forum does not go the same way - having eyed it for these seven years I would now diagnose incipient NIDS (new-idea-deficiency-syndrome) despite your excellent prophylactic efforts to treat this."

There also seems to have been an implosion of what President John Kennedy would have called 'vigor'. Why? Your thoughts.

"I hope that this forum does not go the same way - having eyed it for these seven years I would now diagnose incipient NIDS (new-idea-deficiency-syndrome)..."

"... an implosion of what President John Kennedy would have called 'vigor'"

"We hate vigor."

"It's too much work."

"Men and women don't like vigorous work."

"Perhaps after it's long agonising death 'Vigour Mortis' has set in."

"It might have needed something more binding like mortise and tenon."

"An obscene gesture."

"Those men and women need to think outside the box."

"Vigour is for real life. People come here to relax."

Question: In your view, are we performing an online diagnosis or an exquisite body audit or an after the fact autopsy?

Question 2) Does this centerpiece forum's demise since 2012 reflect an unanticipated result of a global culture in which a high percentage of all households have cell phones and facebook membership which enable instantaneous contact and social need satisfaction? 3) Does this simultaneity provide a lessening of daily tensions/relaxation? 4) If so, wouldn't the instant gratification of one word/sentence game thread popularity eventually minimize new ideas and sustained conversation?

6) As I recall the "Recs page" issue was seized by both factions as a cause celeb; maybe a symptom of a deep online forum need to be pro or con in order to compete for supporters of a cause; maybe a guy thing, maybe not. During those years there were passions and ideas expressed by many. Upsmanship was alive with the sound of convivial conversation, each side trying to best the other. Add to this scenario the loyal fans in the stands cheerleading the daily bread and circuses event; maybe it was all a way of vicariously becoming warriors. In recent years, to present, this forum has become more of a nursing home in comparison. There's a vestige of the "Recs page" spirit today in the Spirituality and Debates Forums.

8) Negativity. Thread 158160 (Page 6)

"Suzi, you may have finally identified the cause of this forum's gradual demise: "negativity" as the pervasive attitude.

All online forums have a mix of..."

9) Conversation requires ideas and thoughts and the freedom to express them publically. If the culture is less than cordial, subliminal fears of being criticized will minimize participation. Ever notice how few new members stick around this forum?
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 14:47
    [b]Why?

Originally posted by Rene Pogel Thread 153985 "Why is this forum dying" (Page 16) "I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provokin ...[text shortened]... criticized will minimize participation. Ever notice how few new members stick around this forum?[/b]
    Jesus Christ Bobby are you writing a thesis? If so it is total crap.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 15:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 20:28
    [b]Why?

Originally posted by Rene Pogel Thread 153985 "Why is this forum dying" (Page 16) "I whole-heartedly support and endorse your statement that you have cared about this forum and its contributors for seven years. During these seven years your comments and thought-provokin ...[text shortened]... criticized will minimize participation. Ever notice how few new members stick around this forum?[/b]
    10) Bottom of the barrel crude slang and irreverent language (which evidence hyper-emotional loss of control and self esteem as well as the possibility of unresolved authority issues) disrupt and inhibit online public forum conversation.
  11. Playing with matches
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 02:30
    10) Bottom of the barrel crude slang and irreverent language (which evidence hyper-emotional loss of control and self esteem as well as the possibility of unresolved authority issues) disrupt and inhibit online public forum conversation.
    You have no idea how to use language. You're a cretinous troll with not even the vaguest notion of how to conduct a conversation. You're dishonorable, deceptive and decidedly untrustworthy. You should find another hobby where you don't feel inhibited by others expressing their opinions.
  12. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 23:38
    Seriously... this is not English. And I "know" that while I am not a native English speaker.

For crying out loud, read some Chomsky about how to construct a sentence that makes sense to anybody but yourself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree