General Forum

General Forum

1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 20:04
    For example, octothorp instead of hashtag. I detest the dumbing down of language.
  2. Fermata
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 20:16
    @hand-of-hecate said
    For example, octothorp instead of hashtag. I detest the dumbing down of language.
    But you used the phrase “dumbing down” rather than say, vulgarised, for example.

I like vulgarised.
  3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 20:25
    @divegeester said
    But you used the phrase “dumbing down” rather than say, vulgarised, for example.

I like vulgarised.
    Boffo!

Peristeronic, pertaining to pigeons, is word I’ve never successfully worked into conversation.
  4. YNWA
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 20:271 edit
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Boffo!

Peristeronic, pertaining to pigeons, is word I’ve never successfully worked into conversation.
    Have you tried carrying pigeons about your person in settings conducive to conversation?
  5. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 20:32
    @petewxyz said
    Have you tried carrying pigeons about your person in settings conducive to conversation?
    Not yet. Surprisingly hard to get your hands on a pigeon around these parts. Plus, the word lends itself to applying the traits of pigeons to others. Much as “hawkish” would be used. For example, he has a very peristeronic look about him. Honestly, I’m not sure I can adequately describe what a pigeon like look is.
  6. YNWA
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 20:39
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Not yet. Surprisingly hard to get your hands on a pigeon around these parts. Plus, the word lends itself to applying the traits of pigeons to others. Much as “hawkish” would be used. For example, he has a very peristeronic look about him. Honestly, I’m not sure I can adequately describe what a pigeon like look is.
    To be honest I'm struggling with that one. I remember visiting Trafalgar Square as a kid and being given a tub of seeds to throw to the pigeons which did seem to bring them out of themselves. You could try similar around humans until you got a hit but frankly I think you're going to need a pretty big tub before you get a taker.
  7. Joined
    27 Apr '20
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 20:47
    @Hand-of-Hecate

Itchybutt
    (Bad day right there)

Buttcrust
    (Bad day right there)
  8. YNWA
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 20:52
    Have to admit I enjoyed getting juxtaposition in the fish thread. This is turning out to be a real learning curve.
  9. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 21:03
    @petewxyz said
    Have to admit I enjoyed getting juxtaposition in the fish thread. This is turning out to be a real learning curve.
    Vituperative. No there’s a word. Bitter and abusive. It sounds like it means.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 21:15
    @divegeester said

I like vulgarised.
    Vulgarised has been vulgarized.
  11. YNWA
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 21:16
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Vituperative. No there’s a word. Bitter and abusive. It sounds like it means.
    Fine word. You could get that one into any one of about ten threads in the debates forum although arguable that would be a waste of a word of this quality. One to save for an important occasion.
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 21:563 edits
    @petewxyz said
    Fine word. You could get that one into any one of about ten threads in the debates forum although arguable that would be a waste of a word of this quality. One to save for an important occasion.
    OP: "Words you like and rarely use."

I don't know, there are so many.
    I guess it wouldn't piss me off to find micturition used more often. 🙂

micturition; noun (formal) - the action of urinating.
    i.e. "The condition is characterized by frequent micturition and urinary incontinence."
  13. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 22:06
    @wolfe63 said
    OP: "Words you like and rarely use."

I don't know, there are so many.
    I guess it wouldn't piss me off to find micturition used more often. 🙂
    What, no definition? That’s lamentable.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    surviving
    Covid-19
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 22:411 edit
    aquiline

To me it sounds almost the opposite of its meaning (when applied to noses).

eclectic

A polite way to describe someone's style who hasn't any.

edit:
    oblong

I lament the gradual disappearance of this word which has no synonym.
  15. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    01 May '20 00:02
    dork