Words

Standard membervivify
General 09 Jul '16 06:52
  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 06:52
    What is "inable" not a word, but inability is? Why is unable a word, but not "unability"?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 02:58
    Originally posted by vivify
    What is "inable" not a word, but inability is? Why is unable a word, but not "unability"?
    I am inable to tell you why because of my unability at speaking proper English.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 03:24
    But "inable" was a word. It has gone out of use.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 07:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    But "inable" was a word. It has gone out of use.
    Interesting.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 07:421 edit
    What about the proper way to pronounce "a" or "the"? For the former, should "a" be pronounced like the letter "A" or pronounced like "uh"? For example, should I say "this is 'A' glass of wine", or this is " 'a' (uh) glass of wine"?

Should I say "the" (pronounced 'T͟Hə' ) or it say it pronounced "thee"? Are there rules for when to use to use either pronunciations of those two words, or is it arbitrary?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 11:04
    What about the proper way to pronounce "a" or "the"? For the former, should "a" be pronounced like the letter "A" or pronounced like "uh"? For example, should I say "this is 'A' glass of wine", or this is " 'a' (uh) glass of wine"?

Should I say "the" (pronounced 'T͟Hə' ) or it say it pronounced "thee"? Are there rules for when to use to use either pronunciations of those two words, or is it arbitrary?
    Dude, just drink the wine.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 22:46
    English is pretty stupid. Its just an accident that it became the international language.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Jul '16 07:41
    Originally posted by apathist
    English is pretty stupid. Its just an accident that it became the international language.
    Here's a great "I Love Lucy" clip highlighting how frustrating English can be:

YouTube
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Jul '16 18:23

a: Stick with "uh" unless you mean to emphasize "one."

the: "Thuh" before a consonant, "thee" before a vowel.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Jul '16 19:03
    Originally posted by HandyAndy

What's weird, is that I naturally do that. Maybe I was taught this rule, forgot about it, but it became subconscious.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Jul '16 19:19
    What's weird, is that I naturally do that. Maybe I was taught this rule, forgot about it, but it became subconscious.
    We learn by hearing others and getting used to customary speech over time.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Jul '16 19:29
    Originally posted by HandyAndy

Amend that: "Thee" before a vowel, except "u" in certain cases (e.g., the United States, the universe).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree