1. Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 07:12
    Try to rebuild my relationship with my mother. She is tough going. She is a widower and lives alone in the same town as me. She is 80 in a few months. My children dislike calling to see her as she constantly corrects them. I rang her yesterday and it was hell. Everything is a drama. A simple family gathering in May has become an event of massive proportions in her eyes. I realise that as people get older smaller issues become difficult.
    I know when she passes on I will regret not trying harder but calling once a week has
    become a chord and selfishly I make excuses and skip the visit or phone call. She was never warm or affectionate and my parents marriage, while they did stay together, was rarely loving. I know people will say that I should tell her how I feel but I would rather not. They say the normal person will get to know 5000 people in their lifetime - well, if I get to know 55,000 people none will be as difficult as my mother.
  2. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 09:321 edit
    Not to get another Forum ban, by being nice to even the slimeballs on this site.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 10:56
    Originally posted by redbadger
    Not to get another Forum ban, by being nice to even the slimeballs on this site.
    Looking forward to this 😀
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 11:13
    Originally posted by bootoyou
    Try to rebuild my relationship with my mother. She is tough going. She is a widower and lives alone in the same town as me. She is 80 in a few months. My children dislike calling to see her as she constantly corrects them. I rang her yesterday and it was hell. Everything is a drama. A simple family gathering in May has become an event of massive proportions ...[text shortened]... in their lifetime - well, if I get to know 55,000 people none will be as difficult as my mother.
    The greatest gift anyone can give to an older person, such as your mother, is of their time; it's what they least have...
  5. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 15:36
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Looking forward to this 😀
    It might work my friend, sorry for my anti German insults they were made in jest.
  6. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 15:45
    I had very similar situation...just do the best you can and don't beat yourself down over it. Best of luck....
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:08
    It might work my friend, sorry for my anti German insults they were made in jest.
    Hey, no problem there. I can see a jest sometimes at least.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    The greatest gift anyone can give to an older person, such as your mother, is of their time; it's what they least have...
    Caring for older people Thread 162805

"I have a neighbour, a widow 92 years old, who calls me when she needs some help with something or other. I, being 20+ years her junior and at home most days, am only too happy to help her out. She has three sons, but the closest lives about 10km away and they all work. She is forever apologizing for being such a "pain" and I tell her , "Marion, if I'm able to help I'm more than happy to." Her needs can be anything from needing a drive to an appointment to her not being able to get her TV to work and everything in between. Are any of you in my shoes?" Originally posted by Great Big Stees
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:28
    Simply give the benefit of doubt; treat others better than they may deserve; forgive and forget and smile anyway.
  10. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:29
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Simply give the benefit of doubt; treat others better than they may deserve; forgive and forget and smile anyway.
    cheers Bob good advice will do my best
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 17:32
    cheers Bob good advice will do my best
    😉
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 May '15 15:17
    * be happy
    I am on a good way with this one 🙂
  13. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    05 May '15 15:26
    I am on a good way with this one 🙂
    still here my friend trying very hard not to gat a ban
  14. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    06 May '15 05:43
    Three more days and one more final away...
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 May '15 07:41
    Originally posted by hakima
    Three more days and one more final away...
    Well done.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree