1. Niagara Falls, NY
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 16:25
    Game 10954896. 3 fold repetition reached, should be draw.
  2. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 16:47
    And now it is. For others in the same situation, a draw by repetition of position must be claimed. The RHP computer will pick up draws by lack of material or stalemate, but not repetition.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    26 Dec '14 17:17
    Here is more information from the FAQ section ---> FAQ
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '14 15:34
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    And now it is. For others in the same situation, a draw by repetition of position must be claimed. The RHP computer will pick up draws by lack of material or stalemate, but not repetition.
    For the very good reason, by the way, that these are the official FIDE rules. A stalemate or insufficient material is a draw, as soon as it occurs, while 3-rep as well as 50 moves can be claimed as a draw by either player.

And the equally good reason why that's the FIDE rule is that the first two are guaranteed draws if you discount clocks - with insufficient material neither side can win however much they try, while in a stalemate, there simply is no move possible; in the last two cases, on the other hand, either player could decide to break the deadlock, and produce a winning (or more likely losing!) game - they're just both deciding not to.
  5. Los Angeles
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 05:08
    Thanks I did not know about the repetition part.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree