1. Standard memberdivideby
    Behind 3 Pawns
    Kingside
    Moves
    07 Dec '03 05:59
    Can you please have the list of moves (game history) beside the playing board, so that you don't have to go to the analyze board page to view this.

Thank You
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '03 09:25
    Originally posted by divideby
    Can you please have the list of moves (game history) beside the playing board, so that you don't have to go to the analyze board page to view this.

Thank You
    Can you please pay your subscription, in advance, for the next 258.6 years to pay for the required bandwidth expansion to provide this feature for every RHP player. I make no apologies at all, if this sounds in any way slightly sarcastic.

the skeeter
    😠
  3. Joined
    14 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Dec '03 09:40
    I enjoy the sarcasm skeeter, but it s possible to turn the logic around...
    userfriendly site => more players attracted => more pawn stars => more money to spend on bandwith
    Could be a win win situation in the end.
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '03 10:21
    Originally posted by Nohup
    I enjoy the sarcasm skeeter, but it s possible to turn the logic around...
    userfriendly site => more players attracted => more pawn stars => more money to spend on bandwith
    Could be a win win situation in the end.
    Yep - good point and 'divideby's suggestion had some merit. But against some of the previous site's 'can we have' requests it would rate ( IMHO) low on the 'ask' list and require some mega resource committment.
    Check out "thires" posts re this and I think you will agree. Besides, it really burns my biscuits when a 'five minute' member struggling so much to manage their six games ( max ) that they want RHP re-configured to accommodate a whim when most of us with a 100+ portfolio get by 'right fine'.( I do apologise for the 'Southern sarcasm' - I blame it on my parents )

BR's the skeeter
  5. Standard memberdivideby
    Behind 3 Pawns
    Kingside
    Moves
    07 Dec '03 13:30
    Maybe I was a bit unclear...first of all, I wasn't demanding anything, it was just a humble suggestion. Also, I don;t see why extra bandwith would at all be required, since all I'm asking is that the move history be shifted from the "Analyze Board" page to the actual Game page (i.e nothing to be added, just relocated) 🙄
  6. Joined
    14 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Dec '03 15:26

I have the same wish. And i agree, I doubt it will affect the bandwith.
    It could affect general performance however - i don t think all players use the analyze board, it could result in more queries against the database and/or in more php stuff processing. Maybe that s the reason Russ located it on a separate page ?
    ( If the database is a problem I volunteer to tune it )

7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Dec '03 16:05
    Originally posted by Nohup

I have the same wish. And i agree, I doubt it will affect the bandwith.
    It could affect general performance however - i don t think all players use the analyze board, it could result in more queries against the database and/or in more php stuff processing. Maybe that s the reason Russ located it on a separate page ?
    ( If the database is a problem I volunteer to tune it )

The DB and PHP engine would have a hard time with that one. Many people don't use it on every request - hence the reason it is on another page. It would just work our servers too hard to have it on every board view.

This may change in the future though - if was can afford the kit to make concerns like this go away.

-Russ
  8. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    07 Dec '03 22:36
    Originally posted by Russ
    The DB and PHP engine would have a hard time with that one. Many people don't use it on every request - hence the reason it is on another page. It would just work our servers too hard to have it on every board view.

This may change in the future though - if was can afford the kit to make concerns like this go away.

-Russ
    Personally, I don't mind clicking on the "analyze board" to get the game history. I don't think, at least the way I use the site, that having the move history on the side would be much of an improvement, as if I want to view the move history, I am also likely to want to move around the pieces to try out tactical variations, and would therefore press the "analyze board" anyway.

It certainly does not seem to me to be worth the increase in bandwidth usage - I'd estimate that about 10 - 20 % of my moves I make without any need to use "analyze board". (The first few moves in a game, plus cases where the best move is obvious) In these cases, in simple or early positions, there's also no reason whatsoever to see the move history every time.

Assuming that most site users also don't feel an urge to see the move history on every move they make, and would probably use the "analyze board" feature anyway, even if the move history was displayed on the game page, the increase in traffic on the website would seem to me to be quite considerable.

-Jarno
  9. Standard memberArther
    The Turtle Hermit
    Turtle Island
    Moves
    08 Dec '03 00:48
    I find that the 'game history' tab above the game board is easier to use than the 'analyse game', because it doesn't call up all that java stuff. Why not just go to that when you need to? On my Netscape 7 I just have to open another tab window to switch between my game & the moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree