1. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 05:57
    I'm not quite sure how to put this so i may as well try and get to the point.

IF, you read a message/post on this site, can the message contain a virus/intrusion ?

The reason I'm asking is this - i've played at RHP for quite a while but, after reading the forums (ie reading the posts) - I quite often find that my antivirus/firewall software indicates that such-and-such a computer was trying to access my computer.
    I am NOT very computer literate and would appreciate a bit of help/advice -
    firstly - can someone 'invade/attack' your pc by your simply opening a message in a forum ?
    secondly - my intrusion software has given identification numbers of the computers that tried to access mine - how do I go about tracing those computers and what can I do ?

Advice would be appreciated
  2. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 07:00
    Originally posted by MartinS

IF, you read a message/post on this site, can the message contain a virus/intrusion ?

The reason I'm asking is this - i've played at RHP for quite a while but, after reading the forums (ie reading the posts) - I quite often find that my antivirus/firewall software indicate ...[text shortened]... e - how do I go about tracing those computers and what can I do ?

I`m not sure about the cause, but i get the same thing and i just hit block forever. It`s done no harm so far.
  3. Amsterdam
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 11:11

The reason I'm asking is this - i've played at RHP for quite a while but, after reading the forums (ie reading the posts) - I quite often find that my antivirus/firewall software indicate ...[text shortened]... e - how do I go about tracing those computers and what can I do ?

Maybe I can help! (probably not...)

This site requires cookies (a little file that remembers that you are logged in at this site) to be enabled, so when RHP stores one on your computer, it could be that your firewall thinks it's under attack!

RHP does absolutely no harm to your PC, you can be sure about that!🙂

Olav
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 11:18

A message or post on this site cannot contain a virus. You are just viewing a web page, just like any other, regardless of the content.

But, be warned, some web sites (generally 'dodgy' sites) will ask you to download software. If you agree or not, is entirely up to you, but only ever install software on your machine if you are 100% sure the software originates from a trusted source.

Once a malicious program is installed on your computer, you are in big trouble.

-Russ
  5. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 13:24
    If you are sitting behind a firewall you are very protected. About as protected as you can get. When your computer is online it'll get 'pinged' by other computers every once in a while but as long as you use your firewall you should be ok.

As far as viruses go. Technically you can download them from websites that don't care to use virus protection as they can become embedded in the objects that your computer stores in the Temp files as it loads the webpage. From what I have seen here and from what Russ has done in the past there is nothing to worry about here. It the shady sites that get loaded up with viruses.

Also, as long as you run a virus protection program and keep the virus definitions up to date your computer will be well protected from virus intrusion. The key is to download the updates quite often. At least weekly. If you don't have one I recommend Norton Antivirus.

Bryan
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 13:41
    My friend has offered me a licensed version of a fire-wall named "Black-Ice" or some such thing. He says it is a cool tool. Should I take him up on his offer? He says McAfee Fire-wall is weak.

Anyone want to say anything about this subject to help me make up my mind?

Phla-
  7. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 14:31
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    My friend has offered me a licensed version of a fire-wall named "Black-Ice" or some such thing. He says it is a cool tool. Should I take him up on his offer? He says McAfee Fire-wall is weak.

Phla-
    Check out this website.

http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm

Black Ice is not the top of the chart but it looks better than McAfee.

I'd say it's pretty good for home use.

Bryan
  8. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 14:32
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

Phla-
    I`ve got Black Ice, it can be a bit fiddley to set up, but yeah i think it`s good. Go for it.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Aug '03 14:37
    Thanx guys.... I guess he offered and I should give it a try.

🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree