Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    23 Jun '04 03:49
    Hi Russ/chrismo/santa/mum/dad, etc...

How possible would it be for the analyse board to be made available in the forum. ie, i've just posted a load of annotation in the chess forum, maybe a link at the bottom of the post could open a blank analyse board so people can plot the moves with ease. This might just encourage people to do a bit more analysis.

Big deal, yes/no??
  2. Standard member SirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    23 Jun '04 06:32
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    Hi Russ/chrismo/santa/mum/dad, etc...

How possible would it be for the analyse board to be made available in the forum. ie, i've just posted a load of annotation in the chess forum, maybe a link at the bottom of the post could open a blank analyse board so people can plot the moves with ease. This might just encourage people to do a bit more analysis.

Big deal, yes/no??
    In which thread did you post that load?
  3. Standard member Toe
    23 Jun '04 08:24
    why not just use a game link and a move number?
  4. 23 Jun '04 10:08
    In much the way a smiley faces etc are expanded, I guess it would be possible to create a set of escape chars that would then expand into board position in the forum.

This wouldn't be as good as analyse board feature but would let people post a quick, graphical position setup - easier/faster to read than playing through annotations?
  5. Standard member Toe
    23 Jun '04 11:54 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Toe
    why not just use a game link and a move number?
    e.g.
    Game 558308 (me vs my first ever account who's password I forgot)

Click the link and presto, a set board position and and then you can shift the peices around as you like. As you can see, white has got into quite a mess on the example...

There are two possible reasons for not doing this: Russ may be less than pleased by X million unplayed set-piece games hanging about

Number two: a discussion on changes in the position would be tricky without two players agreeing to play the game as discussed and so provide a history.

So it really isn't ideal I'll admit.

Edit: Darn! I shouldn't have gone white: now I have a game waiting!
    Edit 2: I wonder what will happen to this link when I delete the game? I'll leave it a wee while then try it out.
  6. Standard member Toe
    24 Jun '04 09:33
    Well that's answered then: a game link to a deleted game takes you to the homepage.
  7. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    26 Jun '04 03:37
    Originally posted by Toe
    e.g.
    Game 558308 (me vs my first ever account who's password I forgot)

Click the link and presto, a set board position and and then you can shift the peices around as you like. As you can see, white has got into quite a mess on the example...

There are two possible reasons for not doing this: Russ may be less than pleased by X million unplayed set ...[text shortened]... hat will happen to this link when I delete the game? I'll leave it a wee while then try it out.
    Your missing the point. The board doesn't represent a game. Nothing is saved on the server.

If i do this...

e4 e5
    Nf3 Nc6
    Bc4 Bc5
    Bla bla......

in a post, anyone reading either has to get a board out or plot the moves in their head. If i could add a link to a blank board at the bottom of that post then anyone reading the moves can follow them and analyse them on the spot, no hassle.
  8. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    26 Jun '04 08:14
    Your missing the point. The board doesn't represent a game. Nothing is saved on the server.

If i do this...

e4 e5
    Nf3 Nc6
    Bc4 Bc5
    Bla bla......

in a post, anyone reading either has to get a board out or plot the moves in their head. If i could add a link to a blank board at the bottom of that post then anyone reading the moves can follow them and analyse them on the spot, no hassle.
    I could render a mini board in the message if someone posts a FEN?

Would this help?

-Russ
  9. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    26 Jun '04 21:23
    Originally posted by Russ
    I could render a mini board in the message if someone posts a FEN?

Would this help?

-Russ
    I don't know about anyone else, but i don't understand the FEN notation.

What i was aiming for was just a board with the pieces in the original positions. The person looking at the moves can move them around themselves. I would have thought that would be really easy no?

i.e. I write the moves out in my post. When im done writting, click a link (same sort of thing as the faces) and my post appears in the forum with a little link 'Analyse', which, when clicked, opens a blank board.

10. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    26 Jun '04 21:25
    It would mean communal games can be played out in the forum, as well as communal analysis. It would be most groovy
  11. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    30 Jun '04 23:41
    Bump....
  12. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    01 Jul '04 13:45
    Bump....
    Ok, I could do this.

A FEN would render a mini-board.

But from the 'new post' page, I could link to a 'board painter' so a FEN could be generated automatically.

It is a nice idea - and not a massive project.

-Russ
  13. Standard member Ravello
    The RudeĀ©
    01 Jul '04 14:20
    Please,clan leagues first..................
  14. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    01 Jul '04 16:49
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Please,clan leagues first..................
    Yeah, you are right. No more distractions...

-Russ
  15. Standard member Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    02 Jul '04 02:55
    That sounds great, though having a board in which people can move the pieces however they please is important. That way, when i post a game in the forum, people can analyse new variations on it, and post back their new analysis.

Thanx for getting back to me
    James~>