1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '04 21:50
    I notice when I tried to capture en passant in the analyze board, the opposing pawn didn't disappear even though my pawn advanced diagonally. I didn't try it on the first board. Anybody seen this before?
  2. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    26 Jun '04 00:12
    Yes the analyse board code does need some work.
  3. London
    Moves
    27 Jun '04 23:35
    The analysis board doesn't understand the rules of chess. It allows all kinds of illegal moves. Normal captures only work because the captured piece replaces the moved piece.

By design, only the server understands the rules; the Javascript that runs in your browser just knows how to draw the board, play through the game history on the page and let you move the pieces about. This is a consequence of the "nothing to download, works with all modern browsers" pilosophy of the site.
  4. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    28 Jun '04 01:45
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I notice when I tried to capture en passant in the analyze board, the opposing pawn didn't disappear even though my pawn advanced diagonally. I didn't try it on the first board. Anybody seen this before?
    You can reproduce on the analyze board the en passant capture.

Here an example:

Hypothesis
    White to move
    There is a white pawn on the e5 square
    There is a black pawn on the d5 square
    The last move played by Black is d7-d5

Here how you can reproduce the en passant capture on the analyze board:
    1) Move the white pawn from the e5 square to the d5 square (the black pawn on the d5 square will dissapear).
    2) Then move the white pawn from the d5 square to the d6 square.

Milou

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree