1. Standard memberQweequeg
    Beyond Category
    Chattanooga, TN
    Moves
    29 Apr '04 21:111 edit
    I'm new here, and really like the site so far!

One question occurs as I play through my first game: is there any way to see a move history in short algebraic notation (1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6, etc.) alongside the board as I'm playing? As it is, I see only the last move made, displayed in co-ordinate style (i.e., square moved from - square moved to). I know I can pull up an analysis board that shows a move history, but again in what is to me an odd format - and that's an extra step that seems unnecessary. I can also pull up a PGN window, but again it's kind of inconvenient. I just want a move history in short algebraic notation next to the playing board, as one might have on a scorepad when playing face to face.

Any help? Thanks!
  2. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    30 Apr '04 02:19
    Originally posted by Qweequeg
    I'm new here, and really like the site so far!

One question occurs as I play through my first game: is there any way to see a move history in short algebraic notation (1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6, etc.) alongside the board as I'm playing? As it is, I see only the last move made, displayed in co-ordinate style (i.e., square moved from - square moved to). I know ...[text shortened]... playing board, as one might have on a scorepad when playing face to face.

Any help? Thanks!
    I had been contemplating bringing up this very point. On the other site I regularly play on, when you bring up a game board, there is a list of the last few moves made, written in regular algebraic notation. This is very handy for when I just want to remember what my last move was. Also, when you analyze the game (referred to as "free board" mode on this other site), you can view the complete game history, again in regular notation. If enough players would like to see this change made, I'm sure it wouldn't be too daunting of a task.
  3. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    30 Apr '04 03:13
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    I had been contemplating bringing up this very point. On the other site I regularly play on, when you bring up a game board, there is a list of the last few moves made, written in regular algebraic notation. This is very handy for when I just want to remember what my last move was. Also, when you analyze the game (referred to as "free board" mod ...[text shortened]... gh players would like to see this change made, I'm sure it wouldn't be too daunting of a task.
    When you go in 'analyze board' mode,the game history is there.
    Having it on the actual gameboard too would indeed be nice though.
  4. Standard memberQweequeg
    Beyond Category
    Chattanooga, TN
    Moves
    30 Apr '04 11:581 edit
    Well, I'll go on record and say I'd REALLY like to see this feature implemented - just a simple two-column list, W and B, as in a standard score book, with moves automatically documented in short algebraic notation.

Or heck, if it's no big hassle, why not offer several notation options under Board Preferences? Players might choose to see short (i.e., standard) algebraic, long algebraic, descriptive, coordinate, and so on.

🙂
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Apr '04 14:11
    Originally posted by Qweequeg
    Well, I'll go on record and say I'd REALLY like to see this feature implemented - just a simple two-column list, W and B, as in a standard score book, with moves automatically documented in short algebraic notation.

Or heck, if it's no big hassle, why not offer several notation options under Board Preferences? Players might choose to see short (i.e., standard) algebraic, long algebraic, descriptive, coordinate, and so on.

🙂
    I would switch it to short in a second.

P-
  6. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    30 Apr '04 15:29
    Originally posted by SirLoseALot
    When you go in 'analyze board' mode,the game history is there.
    Having it on the actual gameboard too would indeed be nice though.
    Yes, but it's long algebraic which is a bit awkward to read. It would also be nice for the White and Black moves to appear side by side, as they would on a traditional scoresheet.
  7. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    30 Apr '04 19:13
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Yes, but it's long algebraic which is a bit awkward to read. It would also be nice for the White and Black moves to appear side by side, as they would on a traditional scoresheet.
    Only for piece moves,pawn moves are short.It's rhp notation 😉
  8. Standard memberQweequeg
    Beyond Category
    Chattanooga, TN
    Moves
    07 May '04 22:59
    Just resurrecting this idea - Russ, any interest in providing a move list on the regular board screen? Maybe I'm in the minority, but it seems like a no brainer to me. It would really help to be reminded at a glance what my previous moves have been. And even better, to be able to play through the moves as one can on the analysis board, with the VCR style controls.

At the moment, there seems to be a lot of blank space - unused real estate - on the main board screen....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree