1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 09:46
    Is there any way you could make it so that when someone hasn't make a move in the requisite interval during a tournament game they are automatically timed out (i.e., without it being necessary for their opponent to claim the win)? In the 'It's a Knockout' tournament, for instance, most games are finished and all but a pair of games are nearing completion. The pair of games that are not even close to being finished are those of 'WhoCares' and 'rookie bill'. But when I was checking out how long it has been since the last move in their games, I saw that in one game nobody had moved in over 7 days. I understand that many people don't like timing each other out, but in tournament play these time limits should be enforced. Everybody gets held up by a couple of people without the courtesy to make their moves. If we make time-outs automatic for tournament games, then not only will tournaments go faster, but it will prevent the too nice among us from being deciiding to just wait and wait and wait.... while the rest of us want to get on with tournament we signed up for months ago.
  2. Vienna, Austria
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 15:26
    I fully agree, except for that case, when your opponent is on vacation and has set the vacation flag.
    I think that in a long tournament (going over several months) all of us should have the possibility to go on vacation without being timeouted.
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 20:04
    Originally posted by Schindler
    I fully agree, except for that case, when your opponent is on vacation and has set the vacation flag.
    I think that in a long tournament (going over several months) all of us should have the possibility to go on vacation without being timeouted.
    Why should everybody have to wait for one person to come back from vacation? Is it that hard to make a move while on vacation, is it so difficult to find an internet cafe? If you can't play tournaments with 7 day timeouts, then don't play the tournament, simple as that.
  4. Steelers Country
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 21:11
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Why should everybody have to wait for one person to come back from vacation? Is it that hard to make a move while on vacation, is it so difficult to find an internet cafe? If you can't play tournaments with 7 day timeouts, then don't play the tournament, simple as that.
    I like the auto t/o idea, but maby add another day, or in quickfire add another hour or two
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 21:19
    Originally posted by UncleAdam
    I like the auto t/o idea, but maby add another day, or in quickfire add another hour or two
    That would be silly. When time is up, it's up. Most of the tournaments clearly tell you not to sign up if you cannot make your moves in the time allowed.

just my opinion,
    Marc
  6. Steelers Country
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 21:30
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    That would be silly. When time is up, it's up. Most of the tournaments clearly tell you not to sign up if you cannot make your moves in the time allowed.

just my opinion,
    Marc
    Well I just ment that the auto was delayed, but you could still take it manuley if you whanted
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 21:42
    Originally posted by UncleAdam
    Well I just ment that the auto was delayed, but you could still take it manuley if you whanted
    That would totally defeat the idea of making it automatic. The problem is that people are not claiming the time-out victory now when their opponent times out.

Marc
  8. Steelers Country
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 21:48
    That would totally defeat the idea of making it automatic. The problem is that people are not claiming the time-out victory now when their opponent times out.

Marc
    well I guess your right, oh well,
    I wish people would just take in the first place,
    I dont have a problem with takeing it in a Tournament,
    in a non-tournament game I'll give them a few days.
    -Adam
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    30 Mar '03 02:38
    Eight days and counting between the last move in one of the games between Whocares and rookie billin the 7 day TO 'Its a Knockout' tournament. Is there any way we can implement this suggestion?
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    30 Mar '03 02:441 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Eight days and counting between the last move in one of the games between Whocares and rookie billin the 7 day TO 'Its a Knockout' tournament. Is there any way we can implement this suggestion?
    I did send a message to Russ concerning this and he said he would look into the possibility.

regards, Marc
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    30 Mar '03 02:48
    I did send a message to Russ concerning this and he said he would look into the possibility.

regards, Marc
    Thanks Marc, I appreciate it.

Bennett
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    30 Mar '03 13:36
    I think Russ is working on a few other RHP modifications right now, but when he does address the automatic time-out issue there may be a few things that need to be considered..

Should the automatic feature be applied to all tournaments already in progress, or just future ones?

If it will be applied to tournaments in progress, should he issue a reasonable warning before making it operational? (Allowing those who are currently in violation to get their games moving again.)

regards, Marc
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Mar '03 17:48
    I will look at this. I understand it is a problem. I have had to message people asking them to claim a T/O in the past, just to get things moving.

I suspect the new code will affect all tournaments, present and future. But ample warning will be given.

-Russ
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '03 08:12
    Originally posted by Russ
    I will look at this. I understand it is a problem. I have had to message people asking them to claim a T/O in the past, just to get things moving.

I suspect the new code will affect all tournaments, present and future. But ample warning will be given.

-Russ
    11 days and counting since the last move in one of the games between Who Cares and rookie bill in the 'It's a Knockout Tournament'. Will this be remedied in the forseeable future?
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 00:12
    See posts in the Tournament forum.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree