automatic t/o?

automatic t/o?

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The Turtle Hermit

Turtle Island

Moves
05 Aug 04

I have a tournament game that hasn't seen a move from my vacationing opponent in 14 days. I've been staring at the skull for 4 days now, waiting for the:

Tournament games time out automatically 2 days after the timeout period expires.
Games can not be reinstated. Your vacation setting will not be respected.

What's the hold up? I don't, as a rule, time out games; but, I just wonder why this RHP policy isn't working here.

N
Cannabist

's-Gravenhage

Moves
05 Aug 04

Well ... it is working but it needs a batch run ... as long as the batch is not run the auto timeout wont be executed.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
05 Aug 04
1 edit

I've noticed this from time to time as well.

What does that mean, "Batch run?" It's something that has to be requested?

Isn't it automatically run every 24 hours along with the EDT 12:02 AM downtime?

Nemesio

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
05 Aug 04

It's not automatic for one very good reason: Sometimes (although not so often recently) this site goes down, or the software is upgraded and people cannot make moves. Admin can then delay the timing out procedure to take account of downtime. Something that couldn't happen if the process was automatic.

Of course, that doesn't excuse the fact, that in the absense of unforseen problems, the 2 day timeout rule should still apply. It's not only fair to both players but to everyone else in the tournament as well.

Yoohoo, Chris or Russ, you still there?

A
The Turtle Hermit

Turtle Island

Moves
06 Aug 04

Well, the whole question has become academic for me; the opponent in question just moved, after 5 days of skull. So I'm glad I didn't time him out. But WHERE was that auto timeout?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
10 Aug 04

Um, I was away for a weekend. 😳

-Russ

N
Cannabist

's-Gravenhage

Moves
10 Aug 04

Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
Had a good weekend Russ? I had some skulls too ... but what the heck, now I have some extra games to play 😏

A
The Turtle Hermit

Turtle Island

Moves
10 Aug 04

Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
Of course that means that it isn't automatic. Perhaps the warning should be phrased differently...

stitching you up

Moves
10 Aug 04

Originally posted by Arther
Of course that means that it isn't automatic. Perhaps the warning should be phrased differently...
what do you prefer? "timeouts will be made automatically 2 days after the TO limit is passed except when Russ is on holiday"? 😉

Remember the original reason for auto TO in tournets was to keep them moving. The few days leniency a few people might get every 6 months because Russ takes a break will not effect this greatly.
If people are waiting for the 'auto' TO they still have the option to claim manually. And if claimed after 2 days past the TO limit who'd know that it wasn't the auto TO? No one.