1. Joined
    27 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 04:22
    I was playing someone who got banned. Now, I'm unable to delete/archive the game, and am stuck with a limited number of games - 5 instead of 6. Is there a certain point in time in which I'll be able to delete that game?
  2. USA
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 04:35
    Originally posted by waywreth
    I was playing someone who got banned. Now, I'm unable to delete/archive the game, and am stuck with a limited number of games - 5 instead of 6. Is there a certain point in time in which I'll be able to delete that game?
    The game will soon be resigned, and I think you'll be awarded the points, but I'm not sure.
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 07:48
    Originally posted by waywreth
    The guy's obviously been kicked for rating manipulation, and the games will be resigned by admin within a few days of the banning. If it's longer than that, suggest you send feedback (see bottom of page for link) in case it's been overlooked. And you should get the points as if it was a win for you.
  4. Joined
    27 Jun '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 12:41
    Ok, thank you both.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 22:54
    I don't think you'll get the points - I didn't when it happened to me.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 17:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberAudioRapture
    Skull Disco, Jr.
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 18:36
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Keyword: "probably"

As your opponent was banned (presumably for engine use), it is plausible that his engine would have found the even slightest inaccuracy in your end game.

Overall, I do think the procedure of changing all banned players' "in progress" games to non-rated fairer than all alternatives I heard.
    Yes, it may suck for some. Not as hard as for the ones who have already lost and/or got kicked out of a tournament because of it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 19:062 edits

9. Standard memberAudioRapture
    Skull Disco, Jr.
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 20:27
    This is just as likely a scenario as the dreaded "is it right to torture a terrorist who knows the location of a bomb going off in x minutes, killing y people" scenario.

You have to apply a solution that is fairest to the most amount of people on the site, as individual adjustment based on each game are impractical due to volume.
    Again, what are the solutions? Giving every opponent a win? Based on how the site calculates ratings, the ratings adjustment vary wildly based on where in the queue your game is. I'd consider a ratings boost for much lower rated opponents just as unfair.

Also, this is a "just for fun" site. We are not talking about official FIDE ratings that would make or break a world cup tournament entry for you. While they do give you a rough gauge of the playing strength of your opponent, they seem to be little more than bragging right. Something to really lose sleep over.

But to answer your question directly: Yes, i would consider it fair. It wasn't a fair setup under the terms of service, and as such should indeed be null and void.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '08 23:132 edits

11. The Smoke
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 10:48
    hey Duchess64, take it easy. so you believe you had a chance of beating someone with a (lot) higher rating than you? or actually beating a chess engine, for that matter?...good for you! you don't need rating points to make you feel better, don't you? you'll have plenty more games to come..
  12. The Smoke
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 10:52
    but given your profile lines, ratings do matter for your ego, and greatly so ๐Ÿ™‚
  13. Standard memberAudioRapture
    Skull Disco, Jr.
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 16:54
    Unlike chess pieces, the real world unfortunately isn't just black and white. There is no contradiction in having a ratings system and being a for fun site.

And yes, duchess64, you do take this way too seriously, in my opinion. As evidenced by your flatteringly long deconstruction of my response.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 21:19

15. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    ๐Ÿค” Bolton
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 21:22
    Ahem...could you repeat that?...ph..lease๐Ÿ˜›

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree