1. Joined
    17 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 20:10
    I have had this virus twice today while on the Redhotpawn site. Has anyone else had this problem
    A file ("handwrite.txt"😉 is noted by Norton to be the problem - its in the IE Temp folder and has zero length - I delete it and system seems ok
    I'm on a modem - have only 2 sites up - redhotpawn and playchess.de
    But I've been on a redhotpawn window both times
    Any help or answers would be appreciated
    thanks'
    sirdad1
  2. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    06 Mar '05 00:01
    Been here for 2 years now,as far as I know,I never had a virus coming from this site.
  3. London
    Moves
    06 Mar '05 01:09
    viruses can't come from this website because you don't download anything.

fred
  4. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    06 Mar '05 05:08
    Actually.. I've received virus alerts from websites without downloading anything before.. its not completely uncommon.. however, I've never received anything or any alerts from this site
  5. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    06 Mar '05 09:37
    Originally posted by sirdad1
    I have had this virus twice today while on the Redhotpawn site. Has anyone else had this problem
    A file ("handwrite.txt"😉 is noted by Norton to be the problem - its in the IE Temp folder and has zero length - I delete it and system seems ok
    I'm on a modem - have only 2 sites up - redhotpawn and playchess.de
    But I've been on a redhotpawn window both times
    Any help or answers would be appreciated
    thanks'
    sirdad1
    I've no experience what that Sniffer Virus but you may find some answers on the web:
    http://www.faqfarm.com/Computer/Virus/Bloodhound/

Looks like Norton has got problems to get rid of the virus. Simply deleting a 0 lenght text file won't remove a virus from your system. So you don't get the virus from this site. You simply didn't manage to get rid of a virus you've already on your system.

Try an Adware-Removal Software instead of Norton.

Gotti
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 11:02
    Someone else also reported an alert from their AV software. I queried them about the offending ad, and have now turned it off. It is not a virus, but due to the risk to the reputation of the site, it is better to stop any potential panic.

If anyone else gets an alert, please describe the ad being shown at the time.

-Russ
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree