1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 04:36
    I have my challege settings set at 1500 minimum for opponents.
    When I post a game,I still get 1200 or 1300 rated opponents that successfully challenge my posted game.Shouldn't those opponents be denied access to my posted game?Something does not make sense here.On Gameknot when someone tries to click on a posted game challenge and the player has a setting of 1500 minimum,those 1300 rated opponents get a message that denies them access to my posted game stating that I requested a 1500 rating minimum for challenge acceptance.
    The other thing is that I can't find a game cancellation button to click onto if i do not wish to play the 1300 rated opponent that has challenged me!What is this??Must i play this opponent now,or lose rating points?Can I just resign the game within 2 moves or less and not affect my rating?But I don't want to resign,just cancel or quit the game without affecting my rating or even having my record list a resignation!Just let my clock run out?What?Gameknot is sooooo much simpler!They have a
    cancel the game button!Ans as long as it is 2 moves or less,nothing even shows up on the record except in the personal message box stating...."game cancelled".
  2. USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 04:56
    Originally posted by Truculence
    I have my challege settings set at 1500 minimum for opponents.
    When I post a game,I still get 1200 or 1300 rated opponents that successfully challenge my posted game.Shouldn't those opponents be denied access to my posted game?Something does not make sense here.On Gameknot when someone tries to click on a posted game challenge and the player has a settin ...[text shortened]... even shows up on the record except in the personal message box stating...."game cancelled".
    The challenge rating restrictions only applies to opponents who challenge you, you can override your settings anytime you want, this includes making open invite challenges, by making an open invite challenge with no rating restrictions, you are essentially overriding your restrictions.

To solve this, when creating an open invite game, there is a link for "Advanced Options", click it and you will see rating restrictions, minimums and maximums, set these for whatever you desire.

When somebody accepts and open invite game that you don't want to play, click the trash can right next to the game on the "My Games" page

This will allow to cancel the game if only 1 or 2 moves are made without any rating penalties.

BTW, if you like Gameknot so much, then just leave, and never look back.
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 05:03
    I don't think he's in love with GameKnot, or he wouldn't be here.

Every site is completely different and each has its own learning curve - you don't become an expert by playing on one site. I find RHP so much simpler than GameKnot, and the screens here are better too.
  4. USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 05:05
    Originally posted by MissOleum

Every site is completely different and each has its own learning curve - you don't become an expert by playing on one site. I find RHP so much simpler than GameKnot, and the screens here are better too.
    Pfft, I hate Gameknot, I'm going to try to get my account (Snuffles) banned, I'll try using chessmaster's monkey personality AI to get banned 😛
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 05:15
    Can't you just leave ??? or do they lock you up and throw away the key?

Like Snuffles though, who was he?
  6. USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 05:20
    Can't you just leave ??? or do they lock you up and throw away the key?

Like Snuffles though, who was he?
    I made snuffles up....I did leave Gameknot, though I didn't get banned, but it's still there so I can try to get banned.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 06:07

yes,you are right,i'm not in love with Gameknot,but just seeking an alternate.I disagree with other comments about being harder to use(Gameknot ect).I find the controls actually easier than here,right from the start the advantage is that the rating minimum controls deny access to posted games with my rating restrictions,unlike here.The conditional moves sequences great,the personal profiles with large pic's and avatars fantastic and actually with the board switches from small to extra large and boards actually better looking!So why don't i just leave this site?Well,I was banned because i argued with another player on that site who was a trouble maker,now i'm looking for another home,maybe i'll stay here,maybe not,but until I get another computer,I can't play on Gameknot anymore because they have an IP pinger which alerts them to multiple accounts,even with a different email address,so I can't get back,even if i want to!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 06:15
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    The challenge rating restrictions only applies to opponents [b]who challenge you, you can override your settings anytime you want, this includes making open invite challenges, by making an open invite challenge with no rating restrictions, you are essentially overriding your restrictions.

To solve this, when creating an open invite game ...[text shortened]... ting penalties.

BTW, if you like Gameknot so much, then just leave, and never look back.[/b]
    thanks dancemaster,
    but where is this advanced option button you speak of?This is seperate from the rating restrictions button I was speaking about,correct?Are you sure this is an option available to non paying members?
  9. USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 06:24
    Originally posted by Truculence
    thanks dancemaster,
    but where is this advanced option button you speak of?This is seperate from the rating restrictions button I was speaking about,correct?Are you sure this is an option available to non paying members?
    Create an open invite and on the list of stuff to fill out like "Opponent", "Game Name" etc., at the bottom, in blue is "Advanced Options"

edit: I just found out that this feature is only avalible to non-provisional players (without the "pXXX" rating)
  10. USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 06:28
    So until your rating is non-provisional, In the game name, write "above 1500 please", hopefully people will comply, if they don't, you can delete the game, and it'll automatically put the game back into the open invites.
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 09:50
    another new and intersting cc site is chess.com. I like all three. My favorite though is rhp.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 13:21
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Create an open invite and on the list of stuff to fill out like "Opponent", "Game Name" etc., at the bottom, in blue is "Advanced Options"

edit: I just found out that this feature is only avalible to non-provisional players (without the "pXXX" rating)
    thanks again Dancemaster.I will have to get use to the way things are set up here.There are disadvantages and advantages to every site.On Gameknot for example,when you click on to your game,all the moves are nicely listed to the right of the board automatically.here,as far as i can see,you have to seperatly click on to it then scroll down with boards for each move....I do not feel this is good,but thats my opinion.One advantage this site has over Gameknot,however,is in the blitz area,where you can choose your opponent and know his rating ahead of time.Gameknot is still in the updating process with their blitz room.However,if you do not care about who your playing in blitz,it is "quicker" with regards to getting an opponent automatically without doing a single thing!I've posted a blitz game here,came back 10 minutes later,got a coffee,donut and still no challengers!On Gameknot,almost immediately when you enter the blitz room you almost always get an opponent(could be anyone) instantaneously!(even 3am!)
    I guess, since Gameknots blitz site isn't rated either,it dosen't matter.
    For blitz,ICC and Instantchess(based in Moscow,Dancemaster!)are the best,but they don't come cheap.
    Anyway,thanks all for your help!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree