Chat room

Chat room

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Near the edge

Moves
28 Jan 03
3 edits

Russ/Chris,

How hard would it be to add a chat room to the site?

Quite a few members of the community seem to be getting peeved at the amount of pointless chatter that is being posted in the forums.

A chat room would give the chatters the opportunity to inoffensively waffle away, leaving the forums for discussions of a more cerebral nature.

Realistically, I expect that this would require substantial programming, but I thought a product might exist that could be 'bolted' onto the site.

Peace out,
Tim

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
29 Jan 03

It's been tried before - not sure what happened. The pointless chatter wouldn't, in my view, transfer to a chat room anyway as a lot of it is motivated by increasing post counts.

Rhymester

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
29 Jan 03

We did try it, and it never really worked. It was underused.

It was also hosted by a third party, which I was never really comfortable with anyway. (In fact, in the end, it was pulled without that person even informing me - leaving broken links on the site!)

I too am getting a bit frustrated by people who 'spam' the forums. If it is contained within one thread, then fine, as it is easy to ignore, but people who post random comments to multiple threads (sometimes very old threads too) which results in the loss of the real conversations of the moment, drive me nuts. 🙄

-Russ

RHP Member No.16

Moves
29 Jan 03

Originally posted by Russ
[I too am getting a bit frustrated by people who 'spam' the forums. If it is contained within one thread, then fine, as it is easy to ignore, but people who post random comments to multiple threads (sometimes very old threads too) which results in the loss of the real conversations of the moment, drive me nuts. 🙄

-Russ
[/b]
There's not that many who do it Russ, so maybe a little 'private' message from you to them explaining why their actions are frustrating to most of us would be helpful.

regards, Marc