Chess Engine?

Standard memberMopsie
Help 30 Sep '05 09:09
  1. Joined
    03 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 09:09
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a chess "engine" that people are referring to in the forums?

Is it a computer progam of sorts, or is it a game (like Chessmaster 9000 or whatever they're up to now) or is it something completely different?

My father gave me this old electronic chess board which I am using to improve my skills - is that a chess engine and could I be unitentionally cheating?

Thanks
  2. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 09:23
    Originally posted by Mopsie
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a chess "engine" that people are referring to in the forums?

Is it a computer progam of sorts, or is it a game (like Chessmaster 9000 or whatever they're up to now) or is it something completely different?

My father gave me this old electronic chess board which I am using to improve my skills - is that a chess engine and could I be unitentionally cheating?

Thanks
    A chess engine is a computer program that plays chess. Chessmaster is such a program.

An electronic chess game is a dedicated piece of hardware which is programmed to play chess. So it's very similar in function to a chess engine.

You're not allowed to either type of assistance to help you in your (in progress) games on RHP. If you do it's cheating, whether intentional or not.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 10:37
    Thank you.

Rather than use the old electronic chess board, I'll just play against my father - he makes more mistakes, which I am learning to do, lol.
  4. Norway
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 10:42
    Rather than use the old electronic chess board, I'll just play against my father - he makes more mistakes, which I am learning to do, lol.
    If I understand the rules correctly you could use your engine to analyse the matches AFTER you have completed them, that is useful for finding the worst mistakes you have done.
  5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 10:476 edits
    Thank you.

i am making a guess ... are you playing your games out against other players to see how they might go?

if this is so then:
    i think this is great! and strongly urge you to continue!!!!!!

playing against your father wil be better than against your computer because you will both learn ... it will be more fun ... maybe try your friends too ...

(unfortunately, i think the fine print at rhp suggests you should not do this against human or computer ... hmmm ... sometmes rules are meant to be broken - my suggestion is this: play all you like against your dad - before, during, or after the game, only you and he will know and enjoy 🙂,
    but
    DO NOT USE YOUR COMPUTER ENGINE UNTIL THE GAME IS FINISHED AND EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY😉 )
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 10:47
    Thank you.

You can still play against engines in your own time but you can't use them to find moves for games played on this site.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 11:27
    I also play against my brother, but he chucks a wobbly everytime he loses. Dad reckons he still holds a grudge from the time I beat him when I was 4 and he was 7 (Dad refereed by making sure the moves were legal). What do you reckon the longest grudge a brother can have, because if Dad is right it has lasted almost 10 years.
  8. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 11:491 edit
    I also play against my brother, but he chucks a wobbly everytime he loses. Dad reckons he still holds a grudge from the time I beat him when I was 4 and he was 7 (Dad refereed by making sure the moves were legal). What do you reckon the longest grudge a brother can have, because if Dad is right it has lasted almost 10 years.
    i think that lifetime grudges are commonplace ... from youth to death ... sadly us chess players often lacked the social skills to overcome our victories over our families and friends ... hopefully you wil be able to leap that hurdle.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 22:47
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i think that lifetime grudges are commonplace ... from youth to death ... sadly us chess players often lacked the social skills to overcome our victories over our families and friends ... hopefully you wil be able to leap that hurdle.
    All you have to do is look at Bobby Fischer!
  10. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    30 Sep '05 23:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    All you have to do is look at Bobby Fischer!
    ... or any of the many thousands of socially inept, bording on insane chess players.
  11. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    05 Oct '05 14:11
    Thanks for "chucks a wobbly". I'll have to remember that one. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree