1. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 16:04
    In
    ormal chess, if you touch a piece you have to move it, if you can't you have to move the king, if this isn't the case either, you loose the game. (Right?)
    Why not introducing this rule to RHP? When I make an impossible move now the square is red and I can make any other move.
    It could be an improvement if the original and very strict rule aplied here at RHP as well.
    What do you guys think about that? Is it possible Russ? Or don't you want to change the now almost perfect chess-code of the site?
    Any opinions?
    th
  2. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 16:06
    I never heard that you had to move the king.I always thought you could move any piece you wanted if the one you touched had no legal moves.
    Anyway,I don't like the idea.It's not in the spirit of correspondense chess.

Sir Lot.
  3. Behind you...
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 17:59
    Sorry, I don't like the idea. In all of my games, I need to do a lot of analyzing and practice different moves before I find one that I'm comfortable with. And even when I do make the move, from time to time I've gone back and changed it. Maybe I'm just weird though.

-Kev
  4. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 18:05
    Kev has hit the nail on the head - I don't like this idea either - but regardless of that the fact we have an Analyse Board feature makes a nonsense of the "touching piece" notion.
  5. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 18:44
    of course this rule shall just aply when you hit the "move" button...
    th
  6. Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 00:43
    This proposal makes no sense. What would it add? It won't make the game appreciably more like OTB chess (since in OTB you can't analyze board, as you can here, and since the OTB rule revolves around physical contact with the piece, not the making of an illegal move, as is the case for the proposed rule).

All this would do is pointlessly penalize people for accidentally putting a piece on the wrong square and pressing "move," a situation which occurs quite rarely anyway.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 11:38
    I agree. The 'touch rule' applies to OTB play, but has no use or purpose that I can see in playing correspondence chess.

It could be used on the live chess sites, such as uChess...

And as for being required to move your king, that is not correct. You have to move the piece you touched. If you can't make a legal move with the piece you touched, then you just have to make a legal move.

A review of the FIDE rules confirms this. There is a fairly lengthy section on moving pieces, and numerous other particular requirements that address touching various pieces, but the bottom line is that the only time you would have to move your king is if that's the one you touched.

Marc
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 12:571 edit
    @all:
    thank for your opinions. I think my ideas wasn't stupid (nobody said that), but/and you are all right: This should not be implemented here. I am convinced! 🙂
    Thread closed...

@mwmiller:
    Thanks for the details concerning chess rules 🙂

have a nice day
    th
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 14:23
    Originally posted by thire
    @all:
    thank for your opinions. I think my ideas wasn't stupid (nobody said that), but/and you are all right: This should not be implemented here. I am convinced! 🙂
    Thread closed...

@mwmiller:
    Thanks for the details concerning chess rules 🙂

have a nice day
    th
    I still wonder….

What happens if you mail an illegal move in correspondence chess????

P-
  10. An airport near you
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 15:36
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I still wonder….

What happens if you mail an illegal move in correspondence chess????

P-
    In CC, your clock only stops when you send your opponent a legal move.
    If you send a move that is illegal or ambiguous, your opponent must immediately request clarification and you need to resend a move. Your clock does not stop until a legal move has been sent, so if this process causes you to overstep the time limit, you lose.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 16:131 edit
    Originally posted by Osse
    In CC, your clock only stops when you send your opponent a legal move.
    If you send a move that is illegal or ambiguous, your opponent must immediately request clarification and you need to resend a move. Your clock does not stop until a legal ...[text shortened]... if this process causes you to overstep the time limit, you lose.
    Nice! So you are not forced to move the piece that you moved anyway!

Is that true?

P-
  12. Wellington, NZ
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 02:12
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Nice! So you are not forced to move the piece that you moved anyway!

Is that true?

P-
    I think I remember playing a game where I made a move which was illegal, because it resulted in me being in check, so I then moved a different piece to capture the piece that would make me be in check, and it worked, so I don't think you are required to move the same piece.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 02:56
    Originally posted by DreamlaX
    I think I remember playing a game where I made a move which was illegal, because it resulted in me being in check, so I then moved a different piece to capture the piece that would make me be in check, and it worked, so I don't think you are required to move the same piece.
    Don't forget we are still talking about correspondence chess... not OTB chess right now.

If you were playing an Over The Board game you should not have been able to move your other piece, by the strictest of rules.

What kind of game are you talking about? Social?? Correspondence chess?? A tourney?

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree