1. Joined
    08 Jan '03
    Moves
    06 May '03 20:45
    Has there been any thought or discussion about a chess timer option on game play? I have been reading how many think of this as correspondance chess and use books and databases. I use it more as a alternative to live chess where I may not be able to make moves for a few hours or days, but also play some people in a time period of a
    ormal live game. As with all functions sure the issue would be more technical than anything. Would it be technically possible to insert a chess timer function so when someone accesses a game when it is there move their timer starts, when they make their move and the next player accesses the game theirs starts. Would make for closer to live play without actually being there at the same time such as yahoo. Just a thought? Love the site and glad I joined.
  2. Standard memberCFC
    Zak the mad boy
    Stamford Bridge
    Moves
    07 May '03 05:51
    Originally posted by Hotchili
    Has there been any thought or discussion about a chess timer option on game play? I have been reading how many think of this as correspondance chess and use books and databases. I use it more as a alternative to live chess where I may not be able to make moves for a few hours or days, but also play some people in a time period of a
    ormal live game. As ...[text shortened]... y being there at the same time such as yahoo. Just a thought? Love the site and glad I joined.
    That's what the T/O is for.
  3. Amsterdam
    Moves
    07 May '03 19:31
    ormal live game. As ...[text shortened]... y being there at the same time such as yahoo. Just a thought? Love the site and glad I joined.
    Well...I don't know if I totally understand what you mean, but there are players here from all around the world...so Europe players would have an advantage on USA players...cause they can move when their opponent is sleeping so his time is ticking...🙂

Olav
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    07 May '03 21:37
    i skirt controversy, but you could just use yahoo chess or another real-time chess online game if that's what your after. its quite a different thing to correspondance chess, though if there's not much work at the office, it doesn't always feel that way...
  5. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    08 May '03 10:31
    I think the origional idea might have been that each player has a clock, ticking down, which only odes so when he has the board on his screen. Nice idea, but there are problems... it would put pressure on people to move fast & not leasurly examine the board at leasure. People could set up a "real" chess board after examining the board for a few seconds, and therefore gain extra time because they would not need to have the board on the screen...
  6. Steelers Country
    Moves
    08 May '03 10:49
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    I think the origional idea might have been that each player has a clock, ticking down, which only odes so when he has the board on his screen. Nice idea, but there are problems... it would put pressure on people to move fast & not leasurly examine the board at leasure. People could set up a "real" chess board after examining the board for a few seconds, and therefore gain extra time because they would not need to have the board on the screen...
    I think there would be a way to examin the board without havening the timer count down.
    like if you go to public games and to look at the game as if you where any other user.
  7. Joined
    08 Jan '03
    Moves
    09 May '03 00:11
    The concept I was suggesting(maybe there is a site like this?) is more of a cross between this(great site) and say a live yahoo site. Clock wouldn't start until you entered and was your turn, not when the other persons move was made and either the person is blocked from entering or just a given they can study when not there turn(would be a mock live anyway). One of the first comments was about people around the world being here. Would work so I would not have to be up at 2am to play someone in Japan 5pm(or whatever time there) on Yahoo for a live game, yet would still have a live sense to it. Of course people could set-up chess boards and study, just as the can now or use a chess program or databases and books regardless of what they say they will do, would be an honor system just like now. Was thinking of it as an alternative option for people who prefer live, but are not able to play live because of location, work schedules etc. Just a thought to expand the possibilities of game play as I am sure setting up your own board, tournaments and the new clan system. Appreciate the comments and help to a newer site player.
    Thanks🙂
  8. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    09 May '03 16:21
    The concept I was suggesting(maybe there is a site like this?) is more of a cross between this(great site) and say a live yahoo site. Clock wouldn't start until you entered and was your turn, not when the other persons move was made and either the person is blocked from entering or just a given they can study when not there turn(would be a mock live anywa ...[text shortened]... ts and the new clan system. Appreciate the comments and help to a newer site player.
    Thanks🙂
    it could work if the clock started ticking from when you first looked at the new board till when you post your next move. However, as pointed out previously in thred, it would need to be a private game, or alternatively, the public view would be to the move previous to the current one (so one could not see the new move with a public alias and cheat the clock).
  9. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    19 May '03 14:13
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    Well...I don't know if I totally understand what you mean, but there are players here from all around the world...so Europe players would have an advantage on USA players...cause they can move when their opponent is sleeping so his time is ticking...🙂

Olav
    Well,if USA players sleep when european are awake,then European players sleep when USA players are awake.Don't see the advantage🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree