clean-up of unused accounts

clean-up of unused accounts

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
18 Apr 04
2 edits

As we all know, the drop out rate at RHP is really quite high:
but the number of meaningful names less so.

There are an awful lot of accounts with fewer than 5 games
that have been inactive for a year or more.

Would it be a nice bit of spring cleaning to remove all these
accounts, transferring the stored/archived games to a single
"deleted account" name so the games database is still complete?

Possibly a lot of work for very little real gain, but the 'best
names' thread got me thinking, that's all.

E
Damn fine Clan!

The Double R Diner

Moves
18 Apr 04
2 edits

Good housekeeping would suggest that unsubscribed accounts should become archived after 6 month's inaction (that seems quite conservative) and subscribed accounts after 6 months of inaction once their subscription expires.

T

Moves
18 Apr 04
1 edit

There are many folk onsite who have had / will have breaks for way longer than 6 months so I'd not go that far.

I'm only aiming at accounts that pollute the namespace but have never really been used.

Darn: I used a techy software term there: the speak plain english lobby won't be my friend today!

edit: shame on me for overtyping in my own thread: but another option would be to mark 'dead' accounts with a symbol or the like, and allow any new user typing in that name to 'grab' it (i.e. only activate the tidy-up feature on 'dead' user accounts when somebody actively wants to use that name). Now I've typed far too much in about a trivial wishlist item, so I'm off to bed.

E
Damn fine Clan!

The Double R Diner

Moves
18 Apr 04

Well as I said if somebody has paid to subscribe then they're account will stay active for the length of their subscription. But after that 6 months of inaction is a fairly long time and I said "archived" (suggesting they could be re-activated) not deleted.