1. Joined
    12 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 07:35
    Is the computer policy posted somewhere on the site? I'm having trouble finding it.

I recall this is a 'no machine' site, but just want to make sure.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 08:371 edit
    Originally posted by CatOfGrey
    Is the computer policy posted somewhere on the site? I'm having trouble finding it.

I recall this is a 'no machine' site, but just want to make sure.
    In the Terms of Service (see link at the bottom of this page)
    under 3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS you can read

(b) "While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials."

This paragraph is often referred as TOS 3(b).
  3. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    15 Jan '09 22:42
    Hmmm...I never looked carefully at the wording before. Would books on endgames, such as Reuben Fine's "Basic Chess Endings" be allowed then? I read the wording regarding endgame tablesbases to imply "No", but looking at it again, it since it's a book I guess it would be allowed after all.
  4. Joined
    12 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 09:03
    Here's my take - anyone please reply if I'm correct or not...

1. Fine's book is OK- it's not a 'tablebase'. This is an issue because Endgame tables on computer aren't really Chess engines, but they are a set of instructions to solve a position. Looking it up in a book is OK, but the automation of the computer is considered unfair by this site.

2. I never use a computer to select my move, but when chess corresponding years ago, I would use a computer as my practice opponent, to play out various possible lines, as a way to review my moves. As I am starting up again on this site, this appears to be something that is NOT allowed here.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 14:481 edit
    Here's my take - anyone please reply if I'm correct or not...

1. Fine's book is OK- it's not a 'tablebase'. This is an issue because Endgame tables on computer aren't really Chess engines, but they are a set of instructions to solve a position. Looking it up in a book is OK, but the automation of the computer is considered unfair by this site.

2. ...[text shortened]... am starting up again on this site, this appears to be something that is NOT allowed here.
    You can tinker with your engine for ideas BEFORE you start a game, and after a game is finished.

You start to get in trouble when your games constantly match out as engine play.

You sitting down to get ideas before the game isn't going to make all your moves look like engine play. All your moves will look like engine play only if you are using an engine.

You can study an opening and speculate a few moves before a game if you suspect someone constantly follows some line you want to tinker with, but as soon as they make a move outside of the lines you evaluated the study you did is out the door.

Any time you take an existing position in a game and plug it into an engine, you have cheated.

P-
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 19:26
    Endgame tablebases have been generated by engines. They don't contain instructions, they contain exact moves to mate. I don't know the max forced mate, but I think we're talking of mates in over 100 moves.

That's why they're not allowed.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree