1. An airport near you
    Moves
    01 Jul '04 21:14
    Originally posted by Exy
    So they provide you with a crutch until about move 20... then what? Why use them?
    For the same reason that I study opening theory for my OTB games. To get a position in which I'm comfortable and have some idea of what to do. CC is great because it allows me to try new plans and play new openings without needing to do the prior work - I can do my opening prep as I reach a position.

Your argument is basically saying opening theory study is useless. I would agree to a point - if you drop material, all the opening knowledge in the world won't help - but chess is far to vast to fathom out just from your own games.
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '04 21:191 edit
    Originally posted by Osse
    For the same reason that I study opening theory for my OTB games. To get a position in which I'm comfortable and have some idea of what to do. CC is great because it allows me to try new plans and play new openings without needing to do the p ...[text shortened]... - but chess is far to vast to fathom out just from your own games.
    I'm all for people studying openings but that implies that they learn them and hold them in their head, not get prompted to do them by Chess Base.

What do I know, my opening is pretty crap and I only know two variations on it! I could never get my head around the fact that they allowed you to take calculators into your maths exam! 😕
  3. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    01 Jul '04 23:22
    Then you'll have the advantage, Exy, over those people who just repeat moves from books or databases. They'll eventually get to a point where they have to think for themselves, then look out!
    Regarding the warning about using computer helpers to decide moves, I've actually heard people in chat room on ICC say they play blitz chess with another computer working in the background, as this one person said, "to get respect." I said the most important respect is self-respect. This person said, "Oh, I have plenty of that. I just want more." What can you say to people like that? Their heads just aren't screwed on to begin with. I know the warning is an obvious club, but at least it's there.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Jul '04 00:521 edit
    Originally posted by buddy2
    Then you'll have the advantage, Exy, over those people who just repeat moves from books or databases. They'll eventually get to a point where they have to think for themselves, then look out!
    Regarding the warning about using computer he ...[text shortened]... I know the warning is an obvious club, but at least it's there.
    People like that shouldn't have ANY respect! That is so silly and lame. I've heard other stories like that, unless you've told this story before here at RHP.

As for Database... I ask first because some people don't like it. I use it to learn and work through a new opening while playing a game. Often, you go out of book in 5 moves. I do learn from my own mistakes also... I do a lot of learning!

Don't worry too much about people using a database... if they wanted to cheat they would just use the engine. You are allowed to use one in correspondence chess... if you don't like the use of Database, play Online OTB. I ask simply cuz I am a nice guy. I don't have to say anything about it if I don't want.

I also think, if your warning was on every board page you just might give someone an idea that they might be wise to use a computer to make their moves also. Everyone must be doing it if there is a warning on every page!

P-
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Jul '04 03:38
    Since i have started playing here i have not once suspected an opponent is using a computer program. This, i feel, is due to the fact that i know i am not invinsible, some thing i found harder to accept when i started playing chess. I know that sooner or later this might change, however i do not feel this site needs to have rules plastered all over it. It 's a relaxed place to chill out and escape office politics in my opinion and long may it stay that way.
  6. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    02 Jul '04 07:42
    I do use an opening utility. This allows me to comprehend the basics of, for me, unfamiliar openings. This tool I use in combination with my own experiences on the board and I try to learn form it ... learn from certain move combinations and positions. When I find myself familiar enough with a certain opening pattern I don't use the utility anymore and "analyze" the game using my previous defeats, as there are more then wins 😉

So I think that both options; books, databases, utilities and my own mistakes will (hopefully) make me improve my gameplay.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree