1. Quepos, Costa Rica
    Moves
    06 Mar '04 04:22
    Twice I have checkmated my opponent without knowing i was checkmating πŸ™„ , i wonder if you could institute a final confirmation asking if you want to message your opponent before the game ends. I like to congratulate my opponent on a game well done, but if i don't see the checkmate i look rude.....just food for thoughtπŸ˜€
  2. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    06 Mar '04 09:32
    It must be fun to play you in real life, where there's no computer to point out to you that you've won!

Personally, I don't think it's all that rude to not say anything at the end of a game; most people don't do it. And quite frankly, remarks such as the "Good game!" that one invariably gets at the end of a game just come across as very hollow to me. Like a mandatory, insincere ritual. But then, I'm from the Netherlands and the Dutch aren't known for being courteous. πŸ™‚

BTW: since there's always the option of sending your opponent a message, I don't think RHP needs to be expanded with yet another feature...
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Mar '04 17:171 edit
    When I say good game at the end it is cuz it was a good game. I mean it.

Too bad you don't.

When I get the message I always pm and say "yes, it was a good game". I assume they mean it... or why say it?

P-
  4. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    07 Mar '04 01:295 edits
    When you walk into an American store, and a clerk asks you "How are you?", do you really think he's interested in how you're doing? Dutch people generally hate that remark. It always makes me want to make up a story about how my dog was run over by a monster truck, and then to start sobbing in the middle of the store. That'll teach 'em to ask me how I'm doing, rather than if they can help me find the product I'm looking for! πŸ™‚ "Good game" is the chess-equivalent of a clerk's "How are you?". If you can't come up with anything better, leave it out altogether.

I never say "Good game", so I can't (not) mean it. πŸ™‚ I try to be more original than that. If I really thought it was a good game, then I'll mention the reason WHY I thought it was a good game. For example, "It was very close until the 34th move; do you remember the rationale behind move 35?" and start an actual conversation (if the opponent responds to my remark, that is). Or "Interesting game. I've never seen a position like the one during move 23 before..." "I really enjoyed our conversation during the game, you're very funny." "Boy, did you kick my butt! Once my ego has recovered, would you mind if I challenged you to a rematch?"

I hope you'll agree these remarks have some sincerity to them; in my opinion, if "Good game" is the best can come up with, then the game probably wasn't that good --a paradox if ever I've seen one.

On this site, some guy once said to me "Good game". I responded: "No it wasn't. You wiped me away." He then wrote: "OK, it wasn't. You suck."

I now consider him sort of a friend. πŸ™‚
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Mar '04 02:591 edit
    Strayjay. I agree, and yes.. I say more than good game. I usually have at least a couple PM's with anyone I've just finished a game with.

When I get beat, I say either Good Game! or Well Played! and talk about where I think I blew it, or ask where they might think I blew it.

If I win it is usually "Good game, we can play another if you like rated or not rated. We can talk about the game if you think you might want to do better. Keep me posted.

That guy who told you that you suck sounds like a nice person. I've got lots of friends like that! πŸ˜‰

P-
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    07 Mar '04 21:15
    So none of you have ever been hesitant to say say something such as "good game",
    yes it can be expanded into a longer conversation pointing out why and such. I don't think that was the point of the post. (btw: nice way to make people feel welcome to post ideas by nitpicking on their exact choice of words).

Zanob asked if there was a way for the system to pause, interrupt after you make the checkmate (confirming that yes indeed you did win) and allow you a chance to make some closing remarks. (And thus avoid the embarressment of saying "good game" and it not really be the checkmate because you didn't see something. (once again, yes this is just an example, it CAN be something besides "Good game&quotπŸ˜‰

Course I guess that kind of feature would only be nice to people who don't already think they see/know everything on the chessboard and have never thought they had a checkmate when they didn't... sorry thats not the rest of you.

7. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    08 Mar '04 03:29
    The point I was trying to make was twofold:

First; there's no need for such a feature as you can always send a message to the person you were playing against (and I think RHP has too many features as it is, to the extent that it's sometimes hard to find where they are hidden --sorry, Russ!)

Second; I think it's nice to pay some attention to what you say at the end of a game.

I do hope that the majority of the people who read this thread 'sensed' the humor in it, and therefore didn't consider my comments 'nitpicking'.
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Jan '06 18:26
    Originally posted by zanob
    Twice I have checkmated my opponent without knowing i was checkmating πŸ™„ , i wonder if you could institute a final confirmation asking if you want to message your opponent before the game ends. I like to congratulate my opponent on a game well done, but if i don't see the checkmate i look rude.....just food for thoughtπŸ˜€
    you are rude so its quite apt
  9. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    10 Jan '06 21:31
    Originally posted by zanob
    Twice I have checkmated my opponent without knowing i was checkmating...
    If you can't see mate in 1, maybe you shouldn't play this game.
  10. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    12 Jan '06 08:49
    I usually only say "Good game" if it was one, whether I won or lost, but I (nearly) always thank the other player for the game. If I won, I get the points. If I lose, I learn a lesson (well, try to...). If it was a draw... well, I've only had 2, one of which was a stalemate.

Reasons to be thankful...
  11. UK
    Moves
    12 Jan '06 18:15
    Hmm. I only comment that I've had a good game if I have. I don't think it's hollow, and I don't think that you have to go into an essay to comment on how you thought the game went.
  12. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    12 Jan '06 23:32
    Originally posted by c99ux
    Reasons to be thankful...
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it,
    You're welcome, we can spare it - yellow socks.
    Too short to be haughty, too nutty to be naughty,
    Going on 40 - no electric shocks.

The juice of the carrot, the smile of the parrot,
    A little drop of claret - anything that rocks.
    Elvis and Scotty, days when I ain't spotty,
    Sitting on the potty - curing small pox.
  13. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 06:55
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Bowmann, you can't find your parents. Maybe you shouldn't exist.

skeeter
  14. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 07:441 edit
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Bowmann, you can't find your parents. Maybe you shouldn't exist.

skeeter
    Bowmann doesn't exist, he just is...
  15. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 11:011 edit
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    lol I have to confess over xmas I made as horrific blunder on gameknot which allowed my opponent to mate me the very next move (and didn't see it until I got that message game over....ironically when I saw I had a message I thought 'oh someone must have resigned' which made me feel even more stupid)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree