1. Joined
    20 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 05:43
    hey, why is this site up and down all the time? I either get mysql connection errors or the regular front page message saying there is work being done.. Will this stop?
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 10:23
    It is not cool, you are right.

Last night we were desperately working to stop the mysql errors. When we were working you saw the maintenance page. This problem is hopefully solved - I will be monitoring the site during the busy periods - but if anyone does see another mysql error after, well, now, then please post here.

We have just made a huge investment in new kit, and we were convinced that would be enough for sometime to come, but it never seems to take long before whatever kit we use is pushed to capacity all over again. (Unfortunately, the subs that fund this site often don’t match this load.)

Now, none of this is your problem, of course. You have paid a subscription for a service, and you should expect it to be available 24/7. This we try to achieve, but it is not always possible. We can only tackle problems as they appear, and we do try to keep all downtime to a minimum.

-Russ
  3. Standard membertejo
    a unique loser
    LIAAA
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 10:35
    I am sure you will do everything that is possible to solve this, so I will be patient and I expect things will work out fine.
    Sander
  4. Joined
    20 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 13:18
    thanks
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Feb '04 17:02
    just got this error--::

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: cpage in /var/www/redhotpawn.com/common/commonfunctions.php on line 19
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 Feb '04 17:16
    Sorry, that is my fault. 😳

I either take the site down to make a change, or I just make the change live (which can result in a very temporary error as you have just seen). Ooops.

-Russ
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    26 Feb '04 20:31
    Russ,

nice job on the site. Really like it.

Just some suggestions on problem reporting, etc.:

1. Invest in a copy of vmware, etc., so you can play with various development/qa environments rather than making the code change live.

2. Better error pages. This adds to user experience and can catch and report a whole lot of error automatically. I think there are a couple of php thingies lying around for this that will catch 500 and 404's.

3. A bug report link. You have this forum, but this is like the close button on the elevator. It doesn't do anything but it makes people feel better.

4. Adapt one of the throttling modules (I assume you are using apache) to key off of whether a user is a subscriber. That way paying customers get the bandwidth and performance.

Having run a few very high availability I feel your pain. Support is a thankless task. People only notice you when something goes wrong. They come to associate you with failure. 😳 Anyhow, best of luck.
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    26 Feb '04 20:47
    I hear more and more people complaining about errors and dowtimes in the last few days. I do surf around here very often (10 times a day 15 min) and I can't complain: No errors, no downtime. I still like it very very much!!
    good night,
    th
    😀 🙂 🙂 😀 🙂
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 00:14
    Originally posted by dscp
    Russ,

nice job on the site. Really like it.

Just some suggestions on problem reporting, etc.:

1. Invest in a copy of vmware, etc., so you can play with various development/qa environments rather than making the code change live.

2. Better error pages. This adds to user experience and can catch and report a whole lot of error automatically. I think t ...[text shortened]... u when something goes wrong. They come to associate you with failure. 😳 Anyhow, best of luck.
    I have a local dev system, and a mirror site, through which all code changes pass. Most of the time we promote all code modifications, after thorough testing, during a quiet time on the site (weekends), when we can take the site down...but sometimes (like today) I just want to copy up a small script change (Hot fix). There was no bug that caused the reported problem - just an i/o 'limbo' state while the file was being written and the php parser barfed for that 1/3 of a seond.. I got caught. 😳

>>Better error pages.

100% agreed. No one should see any (ugly) error on this site apart from me. Normally my code is 100% bug free though, so this isn't a problem. 😉

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree