1. Joined
    23 Sep '01
    Moves
    17 Jan '03 20:14
    What is the proper ettiquette for accepting/rejecting a draw offer? I have been offered a draw but would like to continue playing - I think I have a bit of an advantage although the game could go either way. Is it rude not to accept a draw? If I accept, how will it effect my rating? This is a first for me, I would appreciate any advice anyone out there in RHP land can give me. Thanks, frankied
  2. UK
    Moves
    17 Jan '03 20:26
    Originally posted by frankied
    What is the proper ettiquette for accepting/rejecting a draw offer? I have been offered a draw but would like to continue playing...
    ... then keep playing. one can only offer a draw when one has made a move- if your opponent then replies with a move he/she is in effect declining the draw offer. the offer is no longer valid (i.e. you cannot try to claim it a few moves later) you could message your opponent to say you'd like to continue, but there is no obligation to explain or justify your decision. just play your move. hope this helps 🙂
  3. St. John's
    Moves
    19 Jan '03 16:43
    I'm in the middle of an interesting game with a slight advantage and my opponent has made an obvious blunder which would ruin a good game !! I'd like to offer an "undo" ...is that possible on this site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
  4. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    19 Jan '03 18:571 edit
    There is no undo function. But you can start unrated open invites from a set piece position.

Rhymester
  5. St. John's
    Moves
    19 Jan '03 19:06
    Thanks !!
  6. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    19 Jan '03 20:47
    It is not at all rude to not accept a draw offer; don't let rude people trick you into thinking that it is!! I've had people yell at me for not offering a draw (on other sites; apparently RHP attracts the more polite chess players :-) sometimes even in a position that I was clearly winning. I wonder how come those people don't have the dignity to simply resign and congratulate the opponent.

Never forget: if it's really a draw-position then it doen't matter whether you accept it or not: the game will end in a draw. If you end up losing then your opponent will not complain. And if you end up winning, your opponent did not have a 'right' to expect you to accept the draw offer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree