Standard memberTolken
Help 12 Jun '13 12:18
  1. Joined
    18 Oct '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 09:59
    Originally posted by CrawlIce
    Regarding the two suspicious draws:

When you offer a draw, you must also make a move. Do the last moves in the two games look like they were made by you (Tolken & xina)?

If these don't look like your moves, is it possible that someone hacked your account, made the move and the offer for you?

Just a thought.
    I just looked at the archived game, yes the last move was made by me (castling), then it said 'game drawn ' - weird...
  2. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '13 13:14
    Agreed. Weird. I work in software development myself, and bugs like this are what keep me up at night. 😕
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '13
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 00:081 edit
    This is odd. I just had the same thing happen in a game (10134600) I was playing. Got an email telling me my opponent had accepted my draw offer. Didn't make one either.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 01:10
    This bug won't get fixed until the appropriate people are informed (and nagged at):

http://www.redhotchess.com/core/feedback.php
  5. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 17:372 edits
    I've been trying to imagine how a bug like this could even exist. Unless the folks experiencing it have been infected with a very specific virus or trojan, which is pretty unlikely, I can't even come up with a scenario.

I mean, if the Submit Move and Offer Draw buttons were near each other, I could see a mis-click, or even a misinterpretation of the location of a click, but they're not near each other. And if there were problems with determining the location of a click, I would expect bugs all over the place and not just for this function. Weird.

Plus, when you offer a draw, don't you get a confirmation message anyway?
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 19:131 edit
    You do get a bright message, that's why I think the problem is server-side and happens after the game has disappeared from your screen. It's happened to too many people now for it to be a random glitch. Sometime between leaving location 1 and the refreshed page being served to location 2, there's not supposed to be anything happening to the game then because your move was validated before it disappeared from your screen. So it should be sleeping peacefully until opponent comes along and wakes it up. When it wakes up it already has the problem. There's the two posts, it's up to the tech-heads to find the bug in the middle.

disclaimer here: I know NOTHING about computers.
  7. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 20:571 edit
    For not knowing anything about computers, that was pretty good reasoning.

Here's another thought: I'll bet the problem may be more extensive than appears. Suppose someone receives one of these draw offers and is ahead. They're just going to ignore it and play on. No one will note that the draw offer was bogus.

That brings up another question: Do we know that the opponents of the people who've have this draw bug occur, actually DID receive the draw offer on their end (and accepted it)? Or did this bug complete itself wholly internally, without any human input?

Tolken, xina, can you ask your opponents if they actually DID get a draw offer?
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 06:521 edit
    Do we actually know that there's someone accepting those draw offers? Or that actually there are any draw offers? It could be that the system draws the games for no reason at all without any of the players taking part in the process.

edit: Oh, I didn't read the previous post thoroughly enough. Sorry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree