23 Jul '18 15:49
    Does this apply to the pawns first move or any further moves
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Jul '18 16:25
    Originally posted by @jimmer
    It applies to each pawn at the time it makes a two-square move, if the opponent has a pawn on the correct square in an adjacent file, so that the pawn that advances two squares passes it.

https://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/help/index.php?help=enpassant
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '18 15:55
    Originally posted by @jimmer
    The first pawn moves only.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 18:471 edit
    Hi...my game ID is 12868812...I cannot En passant an opponent's pawn (at move 14)
    and I'm not sure why? His B pawn has moved 2 squares to avoid capture, shouldn't i be able to capture that B pawn with en passant? The game is not letting me and I'm not sure why? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 21:231 edit
    Originally posted by @caldon65
    Hi...my game ID is 12868812...I cannot En passant an opponent's pawn (at move 14)
    and I'm not sure why? His B pawn has moved 2 squares to avoid capture, shouldn't i be able to capture that B pawn with en passant? The game is not letting me and I'm not sure why? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    The position is not an en passant situation.For en passant to apply, your pawn would have to be on the 5th rank.As your a pawn was on the 6th rank he could have simply have taken it.The term means "in passing".If your pawn had been on the 5th rank and he had moved the usual 1 square for a pawn it would have been possible for you to capture it.By moving 2 squares,the capture can be avoided by "passing" the attacking pawn.The en passant rule stops this. I hope this helps.
    Basically for en passant to apply you must have a pawn on the 5th rank as white or 4th rank when playing black.Also,the en passant capture must be applied on the following move so in an en passant situation if you choose not to capture immediately the opportunity is lost.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 22:24
    thanks-this clears most of the confusion up...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree