Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. Standard member jfkjmh
    nice one
    11 Jun '05 23:31
    Since English is not my mother tongue, I want to learn something from you. If I'm unable to find a certain expression neither in the dictionary nor the thesaurus I'll post it here and hope for your kind explanations.
  2. Standard member jfkjmh
    nice one
    11 Jun '05 23:31
    imao
    what does the a stand for?
  3. Standard member jfkjmh
    nice one
    11 Jun '05 23:32
    padawan
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    12 Jun '05 01:05
    lmao: laughing my *** off. Used by people with no imagination to indicate they find something funny.

IMHO: In My Honest Opinion. Used by lazy people when they are making up facts.

Padawan: Star Wars term for an apprentice who undergoes intensive training under a Jedi Knight after graduating from the academy.

To be honest using google and wikipedia you can find these kind of things yourself.
  5. 12 Jun '05 01:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    That's the first time I have heard this version. Usually it means "in my humble opinion". And "IMNSHO" is "in my not so humble opinion".

Edit: I just found this: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=IMHO
  6. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    12 Jun '05 01:38
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    That's the first time I have heard this version. Usually it means "in my humble opinion". And "IMNSHO" is "in my not so humble opinion".

Edit: I just found this: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=IMHO
    Either one works. I've always read it as honest. Doesn't matter really.
  7. Standard member Nyxie
    The eyes of truth
    12 Jun '05 04:03
    lmao: laughing my *** off. Used by people with no imagination to indicate they find something funny.

Padawan: Star Wars term for an apprentice who undergoes intensive training under a Jedi Knight after graduating from the academy.

To be honest using google and wikipedia you can find these kind of things yourself.
    To be honest : Ussually used by intelectual elitists right before they make a point of ridiculing you for not knowing something.
  8. Standard member jfkjmh
    nice one
    15 Jun '05 11:05

Thank all of you for the helpful answers.
    When searching with google I found padawan had something to do with becoming a Jedi, but not your exact answer. Using google I saw nothing useful about imao.
    Using wikipedia I learnt: imao= in my arrogant opinion. (I was probably wondering about lmao what wikipedia can not know but you guessed it) When I looked there for padawn I found out again that it had something to do with becoming a jedi.
    So the answers I got here were more precise and I got exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all once again!
    To be honest, this way is easier for me, too.
    So I'll stick to this method:
  9. Standard member jfkjmh
    nice one
    15 Jun '05 11:06
    mildly amused
    Does this mean amused or not amused?
  10. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    15 Jun '05 11:09
    Originally posted by jfkjmh
    mildly amused
    It depends on context.
  11. 15 Jun '05 12:02
    Originally posted by jfkjmh
    mildly amused
    The standard amusement scale goes (from least to most):

Most definitely not amused
    Unamused
    Mildly amused
    Pretty amused
    Amused
    Very Amused
    Extremely amused

I have always found the acronym MUMPAVE particularly useful in remembering my degree of amusement.

Therefore, mildly amused is more amused than unamused, but not as amused as pretty amused.
  12. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    15 Jun '05 12:13
    Does 'not amused' (as in 'we are not amused' come between 'Most definitely not amused' and 'Unamused'?
  13. 15 Jun '05 12:23
    Does 'not amused' (as in 'we are not amused' come between 'Most definitely not amused' and 'Unamused'?
    Not amused is a common variation of unamused (i.e. 'we are unamused'.

I believe that historically 'unamused' has been favoured for the scale (as MNMPAVE is harder to remember than MUMPAVE), but that 'not amused' is often used by the elite when trying to give their speech more street cred.
  14. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    15 Jun '05 13:48
    http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1330/8991_0007.jpg

Use that for your avatar link. Or even better save it and load it onto photobucket and use that. That way you won't get broken links if the image changes name or something.
  15. 16 Jun '05 11:46
    Ta