FAQ on Draws

FAQ on Draws

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Geek

Behind you...

Moves
26 Aug 04

I have a rook-king vs. king game going and wanted to see how many moves I had to turn it into a checkmate, so I looked in the FAQ for draws and noticed that you don't list one of the ways to get a draw, Russ.

You have 1) no piece capture or pawn movement for 50 moves, 2) Insufficient material, and 3) 3-move repetition, but what you don't have is if your opponent cannot move any of his pieces (including his king) and is not in check. Do you not have this listed because you do not have to claim the draw if this happens or because you forgot to add it in? Either way, don't you think it should be in there just incase someone was wondering about it?

-Kev

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Aug 04

Originally posted by seraphimvulture
I have a rook-king vs. king game going and wanted to see how many moves I had to turn it into a checkmate, so I looked in the FAQ for draws and noticed that you don't list one of the ways to get a draw, Russ.

You have 1) no piece capture or pawn movement for 50 moves, 2) Insufficient material, and 3) 3-move repetition, but what you don't have i ...[text shortened]... ay, don't you think it should be in there just incase someone was wondering about it?

-Kev
Kev, the FAQ you're referring to is discussing situations where you can CLAIM a draw. If the situation is a stalemate, I believe it is automatically registered as a draw just like a checkmate is automatically registered a win. Never actually had one though (a stalemate, not a checkmate I lucked out and got a couple of those).

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
26 Aug 04

read this:
http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=faq#clmdrw
th

s
Geek

Behind you...

Moves
26 Aug 04

Originally posted by no1marauder
Kev, the FAQ you're referring to is discussing situations where you can CLAIM a draw. If the situation is a stalemate, I believe it is automatically registered as a draw just like a checkmate is automatically registered a win. Never actually had one though (a stalemate, not a checkmate I lucked out and got a couple of those).
I get what you mean, bud, I already mentioned that in my original post, but if that really is the case then shouldn't there still be a little added note just incase there's a player who doesn't know what happens when they can't move? I used to play a lot of chess at school and once played a bunch of kids who really thought that when you can't move at all that you lose, which of course isn't the case.

And don't expect to get any of those lucky checkmates on me! 😵 By the way, how's rwingett enjoying 8th place? Hehe.

-Kev

P.S. to thire: The link you just gave me is where I originally got all that information. Been there, read that. Thx anyways though.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Aug 04

Originally posted by seraphimvulture
I get what you mean, bud, I already mentioned that in my original post, but if that really is the case then shouldn't there still be a little added note just incase there's a player who doesn't know what happens when they can't move? I used to play a lot of chess at school and once played a bunch of kids who really thought that when you can't mo ...[text shortened]... ve me is where I originally got all that information. Been there, read that. Thx anyways though.
It doesn't say anywhere on the site what a checkmate is either; I think it's assumed people have some familiarity with the rules if they're playing here. Then again, it does show how all the pieces move, so I guess it could show both the stalemate and checkmate rules and give an illustration of each.

I guess I'll have to settle for good old-fashioned blundering away of a Queen instead of a lucky checkmate in your case!(ignoring the computer glitches that got you those 2 wins!)